the big P(ractice)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tronictq, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    how long do you guys do it? I try and average in an hour a day..... weekends more.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i used to spend a lot of time practicing. lately, i just work on specific things as i need them. luckily, i have the luxury to spend 5 or 6 hours on something at a time, uninterrupted, so that usually does the trick, and if not "tomorrow is another day" :D.
  3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Practice - the "P" word... because of work being busy recently, I have dropped to only an hour twice a week or so (excluding actually rehearsing and playing time with the band). I have been spending this time learning my modes - basically new stuff that I have learnt here! :)
  4. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Arn"t your fingers bloody after 5 or 6 hours straight?:eek:
  5. I also normally do the practice when I need to routine, although lately the need to quotiant has been much higher since I'm working my way into a new band. I've been doing 2-4 hours a day when the band isn't practicing.

I also go through phases where I become crititcal of my limitations and will practice a lot at what I feel I'm weak at. During those times I tend to average about 1-2 hours a day...Luckily, I'm my own worst critic and feel there is always something that I need to improve on, it's usual more about motivating myself to keeping a steady practice routine. Evolving as a bass player is what keeps it interesting for me.;)
  6. kasuals

Jul 20, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    My lead guitarist and myself practice about 4-6 hours a day together. I practice about 1-2 by myself.

Find it's funner, and more productive when we practice as a team everyday. Besides, now we know all of our songs inside and out.
  7. kasuals

Jul 20, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Only if you're pressing so hard on your strings that they cut into you. And as long as I'm not fretting so hard my knuckles turn white, I can't even feel a change in my finger tips. (Callouses help as well)
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's all over the place. Some days nothing, others 2-3 hours.

The only way to be 100% consistent is to make it a habit like first thing after you get up, right after dinner for an hour, etc. I actually used to do this.

My current schedule is too screwed up for that. Juggling my job, my wife's job, my kids' activites plus my gigs...sheesh!!! I stopped beating myself up about it.

Luckily I gig enough so that I at least get plenty of playing in during the week and some of my studying can be done away from the bass (writing out bass lines to practice later).
  9. i am only 13 so i dont really have much time for practice i try to do a mimium of about 1 1/2 hours.
    When i have loads of time i practice for about 2-3 hours :D
  10. variable.. last week no practice ( bass it at luthier for adjustment )

i practice a lot.. i've got my own studio, where i spend about 3 to 4 hours a day.. playing bass, messing with drummcomputer, etc,etc..
  11. Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    DAMN, i don't stand a chance against you guys in the music world..... i better pull up my socks to 3 hours a day too. Sometimes it feels like a chore, ne one else get that?

12. Probably average at least an hour a day. If I'm learning songs, then however long it takes. I usually break it up into 30 minutes at a time. During practice days/nights, it's about 4 to 8 hours. Split up evenly between smoke and music breaks.

If I happen to come up with something I like, I'll prolly stick on it an hour. Then come back later and try and play it again. Keep at it till I'm satisfied.
  13. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Mine aren't, and i have high action. I've gone as long as 10 hours strait, i've done that on an upright and on my p-bass. My fingers bled when i played my former upright for a while (it had high action to the extrmeme, "SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM!!!"), and that was mainly with a bow, a french bow.
  14. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Man, when i was your age (oh, wait, i am basically your age) i have no homework and too much free time (especially since i quit organised sports). I usually have about 15 minutes of homework worth a week. You need to learn how to bull**** your way through school, it works for me.
  15. My bass teacher told me tonight that Jimi Hendrix would sleep with his guitar. When he'd get up to brush his teeth he'd still have his guitar on him, and he'd play his guitar while taking a ****.
  16. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    No... your bass teacher must have been pulling your leg... or his toilet is big enough for him to hold his guitar...
  17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Goof around - About an hour and a half daily

Practice - 2-4 daily as long as there's no gig that night. For some reason, hard-nosed practicing on those days makes me play more poorly than normal at a gig.....don't feel as enthused when it's time to play for pay, I think.
  18. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    i usually practice 3 hours a day.. I space it out where I have time. when I first started, I would practice at least 4 hours a day. learning and studying my fretboard.......
  19. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    im 15 and i play about 3 hours a day. on the weekend i play up to 5 hours on and off. but my prac schemes are usually just me playing all the songs i know and perfecting them more and more. i dunno if this is the best way to get good but it works for me and i enjoy it