The big Question; 4 or 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vidvandre, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Vidvandre

Jan 10, 2004
    Oslo, Norway

I need some advice. I am saving money to buy a warwick corvette, and I am wondering whether to get a 4 or 5 string version. i currently own a six string, so i am not too afraid that the extra string will confuse me. I am a bit concerned on how the low b string will feel on a 34" scale, and i wonder if any of you feel a big difference when slapping. to me it would seem a lot easier to slap cleanly on a 4 string. And of course, any other views will be appreciated..

2. There are lots of posts here regarding floppy B's on 34's, but the tightness has to do with instrument contstruction and the string itself. The more tension a string needs to reach the desired tone, the tighter it will be, and more pressure it will put on the neck/body joint (if you're going bolt-on).

As for 4 or 5, 5 is a more versatile instrument for today's music...unless you'd like to tune your 4 as a B-E-A-D. I know a guy who does that and brings 2 4 string basses to his gigs.

Happy new year!
  3. Well, just get a 5 with normal 19mm spacing. There won't be any difference except that you have the extra string there when you need it. It doesn't affect ergonomics because you don't have to reach over another higher string, it just waits on top. Why limit your options?

Also, if you play 6 now, why move down?
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Stingray5ers are 34" scale and have excellent B strings.

That being said, the 5 string corvettes i have played didnt thorughly impress me (the thumb 5ers did , though). I think the corvette model is best as a 4 string
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The fivers I currently own are 34", and the B strings sound great even when tuned down to Eb. (FYI: Fender Roscoe Beck 5 and Sadowsky P5.)
  6. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    IMHO, go with the 4. I'm saying this because I just can't stand 5ers. To me whenever I play one, it's lacking in a part that I love (the high c), but on a 4 it's different. I don't have the low b so I don't need the high c to balance it out.

34" scale is fine with a B, some say it's floppy, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    I like 5ive stringers better than 4ours.
  8. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    5's are great but you have to consider that the better 5's are a bit more expensive than 4's. Most TBers agree that a great B string matters, scale length doesn't matter so much IMHO, and that string spacing is VERY important to overall feel on a five. Slap is usually best done on a 19mm "wide" spacing IMHO.

The best midrange priced ones are IMO...

1)Yamaha BB anything
    2)Ernie Ball MM SR5
    3)Lakland 5501 or 02

If you are playing a lot of hard rock/modern R&B, a five is key. If you are playing older stuff then it doesn't really matter much. The main thing to keep in mind is,,,,, good groove on your part.
  9. Depending on how much money you have, and which Warwick model you want. You can get a broadnecked version with P spacing, and also get the optional 35" scale for a 5 string. Although, this will cost you a bit from the Warwick 'custom' shop.

10. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    BTW a Warwick Corvette has a tight spacing of 16.5 So something around the same price, but wider like a Lakland 5501, Yamaha BB615, or a used Sadowsky Metro.