1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Billy Cox Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by de la mocha, Mar 20, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    ^^^^^^ I got this off the net, that's not me talking...... LOL!

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    A great player for sure!!!! Thanks for the thread. :bassist:

3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Great player, far better than Noel IMO.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    far better than Noel indeed, although I like the Experience Albums with Noel better than the Band of Gypsies album.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I saw Billy with Band Of Gypsys at the Fillmore when I was fourteen, it probably set my destiny!

6. Very underappreciated bassist. What Noel Redding did with JHE was interesting, but Billy is and has always been a "Bass Player". I'm still enthused by the lock Billy/Buddy produced on the BoG shows. That's as tight as it gets.

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Billy could really drive a tune. A lot of the later recordings had great Jamerson-esque bass work...he was a good match for what Jimi was writing at the time. The live stuff with him & Mitch Mitchell is the best IMO.

8. don`t know why
    but i`ve special affection for Noel (I really cry when i found out that he pass), and i could`t apreciate Billy`s playing cause he was "the new one"...
    anyway, billy is better, but noel is my man for jimi
    see ya
    manuel

PS: please forgive my english, i speak really bad, and also didn`t sleep last night...

9. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    :
    :eek: :eek: My Oh My I would of loved to have been there and have been in your shoes Loved Billys playing and Noels as well both had their roles with jimi and were solid as hell.

10. Billy totally locked down the bottom in Band of Gypsies! Probably my fav JH album. Great that he's still in the game

11. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    man, billy cox is the deal! i used to listen to Band of Gypsies all night, really funky stuff coming out from buddy miles/billy cox.

12. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    A major influence in my playing.

IMO, every young bassist should learn the entire original BoG.

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    My first live show, I was ten, Jimi Hendrix with Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchell.
    Blew my mind.
    I was to young to know.
    Still 36 years later, one of the best show I've ever seen.
    Hendrix had an larger than life stage pressence.
    Like, Miles, Jaco, Otis Redding, Led Zepplin.
    One of a kind.

14. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    As a Hendrix fan I must say that I prefer Noel as his bass player. I do cried too when knew that he died. Billy Cox is a huge, very funky player and his work with BoG was beautiful.:bassist:

15. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    There's nothing I can add, except to say that Billy's playing on the Band of Gypsys album was a huge inspiration when I was learning to play bass.

16. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    When I first started listening to JHE (Jimi Hendrix is pretty much my all time favorite musician) Noel was a favorite bassist of mine. It was pretty much Hendrix though cause he wrote all the basslines. He badly wanted guys around him who could carry on by themself and improvise. Towards the end of Noel being with Hendrix . Noel was becoming a great bassist and could improvise and solo very well. When Billy Cox came into the picture he brought his own ideas and his own basslines. Hendrix and him had so much fun you can really see the fun with BoG. To bad Hendrix's managment got in the way with things or he couldve done some amazing albums with some amazing musicians (Miles , The Brecker Brothers , Funk Brothers, gil Evens to name a few)

17. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    My main influence. And I prefer their last configuration, with Mitch on drums.

18. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    No, not a law firm, but by far my favorite Hendrix configuration! Don't know if I'd dig Mitchell in other contexts, but his energy was a nice counterpoint to Hendrix. That said, Band of Gypsies remains my favorite Hendrix album, with "Machine Gun" being one of the greatest tracks by anyone, anywhere, anytime. I'm jealous of all who attended that concert!

19. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Jimi's favorite too, Mitch and Billy.

20. Billy Cox is amazing! He had a definate impact on me as a player. He actually lives here in nashville. I got his autograph years ago. His lines are so tasteful and are much better than Noel's IMHO.