The Black Dahlia Murder bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by slapinandpopin7, Jan 21, 2006.

1. hey there.

started listening to this amazing death metal/speed band not to long ago, and during breaks where its just bass/drums/vox i noticed that he has amazing tone. its kinda difficult to hear with everything else. does anyone know what gear he uses? pedals/bass.
    one good break where you can hear it quite well is in the song 'spite suicide' at 2:10.

it has alot of bite, and a good amount of clarity compared to other death metal bassists.

thanks in advance

2. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    I dig BDM a lot, but I definitely don't listen to it for the bass. Not exactly the most memorable bass lines. I think Spite Suicide might be the only song where you hear the bass for a few seconds. Sort of muddy to me.
    Dave is out of the band as of a month or 2 ago, too. According to Brian it was because he couldn't keep was sort of an ugly split.
  3. yea i heard bout that, their drummer is gone 2.
    but they just got a new bass player, mayb he will be able to do the job right.

well anyways, do u know what kinda gear he used? i agree its alittle muddy, but the basic tone of it i think sounds good.

4. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    He used an LTD through the standard Ampeg rig the last time I saw him.
  5. Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    I saw them over the summer... The bass player didn't stand out, but then again it was a live, outdoor venue.

The singer looked like a very belligerent, screaming, overweight nerd. I was amused. :cool:
  6. gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    I got into a discussion about that guy somewhere. I saw a pic of him and he was playing the bass like it was a guitar, with the picking and fretting techniques and all... someone informed me it was impossible to play BDM's songs without using a bass pick because of the speed.. derr... I must have been cheating all this time, I gotta quit. :cool:

Not that I'd want to listen to or learn their songs anyway, new heavy metal bands are annoying :D
  7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    IMO, the drummer was the main attraction for the band. I had heard that there was talks he was leaving, but never heard definitively.