1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Black Dahlia Murder bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by slapinandpopin7, Jan 21, 2006.

1. hey there.

started listening to this amazing death metal/speed band not to long ago, and during breaks where its just bass/drums/vox i noticed that he has amazing tone. its kinda difficult to hear with everything else. does anyone know what gear he uses? pedals/bass.
    one good break where you can hear it quite well is in the song 'spite suicide' at 2:10.

it has alot of bite, and a good amount of clarity compared to other death metal bassists.

thanks in advance
    andy

:bassist:

2. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I dig BDM a lot, but I definitely don't listen to it for the bass. Not exactly the most memorable bass lines. I think Spite Suicide might be the only song where you hear the bass for a few seconds. Sort of muddy to me.
    Dave is out of the band as of a month or 2 ago, too. According to Brian it was because he couldn't keep up...it was sort of an ugly split.

3. yea i heard bout that, their drummer is gone 2.
    but they just got a new bass player, mayb he will be able to do the job right.

well anyways, do u know what kinda gear he used? i agree its alittle muddy, but the basic tone of it i think sounds good.

thanks
    andy

4. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    He used an LTD through the standard Ampeg rig the last time I saw him.

5. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    I saw them over the summer... The bass player didn't stand out, but then again it was a live, outdoor venue.

The singer looked like a very belligerent, screaming, overweight nerd. I was amused. :cool:

6. gravaged

gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    Alabama
    I got into a discussion about that guy somewhere. I saw a pic of him and he was playing the bass like it was a guitar, with the picking and fretting techniques and all... someone informed me it was impossible to play BDM's songs without using a bass pick because of the speed.. derr... I must have been cheating all this time, I gotta quit. :cool:

Not that I'd want to listen to or learn their songs anyway, new heavy metal bands are annoying :D

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    IMO, the drummer was the main attraction for the band. I had heard that there was talks he was leaving, but never heard definitively.