1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The "Blink-182" Progression (I VI V IV)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by danjl131, Oct 4, 2008.

1. danjl131

danjl131

Jun 10, 2008
    alright so im in a band with a guy and for some song ideas i have i use a 1 6 5 4 progression in it (or i use inversions to vary it up a little) and he always says "forbidden chord progression, its what blink 182 always used" i dont get this logic though, yeah blink and lots of other bands use it in their songs, but what about jazz, which uses 2 5 1 alot, or blues 14 5 12 bar progression, or some common rock ones that use something similar to the "blues" chord sequence. is he right, or just not open minded?

2. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I'm going to go with "not open minded" on this one.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The song is good or it isn't. You cares about the progression ?
    You'd be hard pressed finding a punk song that doesn't abuse the 4 chord scheme anyway.

4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Funny, we refer to that progression as the Blink-182 in my band too. Next time he complains just say, Blink made a few million using that progression over and over so there's nothing wrong with it.

Honestly though, just about every band out there has probably used that at one point in time because it sounds good. Just put a cool guitar riff over it and enjoy!