The Blockheads (Norman Watt-Roy) Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 1, 2021.

1. RayWithFlats

RayWithFlats

Mar 22, 2020
    on the 1
    I saw a great interview where Wilko said he loved the fact his character was mute because he didn’t have to learn any lines, just show up and give everyone the stink eye!

kobass, JimmyM and bholder like this.
  2. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    When I think of The Blockheads this is what comes to mind:

Todd Hamby likes this.
  3. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    This song brings me so much joy.

4. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    GREAT! sounding so good,
    but the solos section... uh oh.

5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

If you liked that tone, you wouldn’t have to go MusicMan ;).

6. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Commercial User

I like Ian Dury.

I’ve only kind of skimmed through that late 70s UK scene. I probably should check it out more - it was an interesting space and time when Punk Rock, Disco, Funk, and Reggae were all flirting with each other.

kobass and SteveCS like this.
  7. Wibble666

Wibble666

Apr 20, 2021
    Apparently Norman was heavily influenced by Jaco...it certainly sounds like it.

kobass likes this.
  8. I first heard that back pickup tone thru Jaco. Then, my 80's Yamaha BB's with that blade bridge pickup solo'd would do it without trying hard. My current Squier Jazz does it, but the real trick for that back-pickup-burpity-burp for me is to nudge a dose of 100hz boost under it to fill it out for soloing or panning all back to that aft pickup, then pluck it with the harder side of your fingers right around the pickup.

9. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Love this

bobyoung53 likes this.

10. That's funny, we were just talking about him in the GOF thread last week.

11. That's another great one.

12. Some influence on that song maybe. I've read he'd recently seen Jaco not long before the band recorded Hit Me. Don't know if that adds up to "heavily influenced"? He could play other styles as well.
    (Still hearing a bit of Jacoesque influence might mean Norman will get a bit of respect from the "Jazz is a higher form of music" types? :D ;))

Wibble666 likes this.
  13. Come on you guys, you don't put in his most famous tune?

Nice bass line in this too.

BOOG, Oddly and GManfromOz like this.

14. I don't hear any Jaco in him and they both came up at the same time so it's unlikely Jaco would have especially influenced him more than anyone else that was already playing when Jaco came out..

Durham52 likes this.
  15. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Such a classic song, and just love that super-tight fingerstyle playing down at the bridge.

Roxbororob and SteveCS like this.
  16. cxcxcx

cxcxcx

Mar 8, 2019
    Big influence on Pino Palladino - he’s name-checked NW-R in most of his rare interviews. Definitely apparent in his earliest work.

17. darkwasthenight

darkwasthenight

Oct 17, 2010
    He was on Sandanista! and Cut The Crap. Topper claims he played the line on Casbah too, and seeing as Topper is credited with bass on that track we could probably take his word for it.

Norman is a lovely bloke. Met him in passing a few times when he's been with Wilko and he's never been anything but a gent (well that and stoned - the man can smoke anyone under the table...)

GregC, Happy Face, Todd Hamby and 2 others like this.
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Got that right. Drury and the Blockheads were a trip on stage. And they always had a good bass line going for their tunes:

Roxbororob, DJ Bebop and JimmyM like this.
  19. Wibble666

Wibble666

Apr 20, 2021
    ...Norman admitted himself that the rhythm stick baseline came from seeing Jaco and that he was heavily influenced by him ..but sure if you can’t hear any Jaco that’s your prerogative.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    kobass, Todd Hamby and Roxbororob like this.
  20. I don't hear it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021