1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Blockheads (Norman Watt-Roy) Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 1, 2021.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    No, everything is easy after Havona. The funny things is that there are videos of kids playing Havona on YouTube.

shufflebass123 and Phaidrus like this.
  2. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    :wideyed:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That was quite an informative video. I was touched by the emotion of the host at the end. Music has the power to really touch people even though no music touches everybody. Because of this, I tend to avoid putting down music in threads where fans are expressing their love, because to my mind, that sort of thing is trolling.

4. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Well said!!

3wavylines likes this.
  5. I stand corrected. Early 70's precision

Phaidrus likes this.
  6. Terrific video, thanks for posting.

3wavylines likes this.
  7. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    This sounds quite Jacoesque. To be clear, I like both Watt-Roy and Jaco.

jerry and bobyoung53 like this.

8. I like it better when he starts doing that percussive stuff near the end, I think he was trying too hard in the beginning, to me there was only one Jaco, it's too bad a lot of great players got stuck trying to imitate Jaco. He gets a lot better sound then ahem.... ever did I will say that.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Phaidrus likes this.
  9. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Norman has played with Dr. Feelgood guitarist Wilco Johnson for ages; Wilco has a long and varied history, including a stint in the Blockheads, and a few years ago they did an album with The Who’s Roger Daltry...

The Feelgoods, virtually unknown in the US, were the quintessential mid-70’s pub rock band, and a big influence on many in the following punk/new wave scene, like Paul Weller and Andy Gill. We do this track in my garage rock trio...

On top of everything else, Wilco beat cancer.

getbent, Oddly and Phaidrus like this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That sounds more like a Jazz than Rock bass solo.

11. Wibble666

Wibble666

Apr 20, 2021
    You have to remember that until Jaco came along nobody really played like that so Norman was doing a bit more here than just copping Jacos vibe ..he was literally trying to totally rip him off but of course in the process came up with his own interpretation ....this is how progression in music works...we all stand on the shoulders of giants and nobody is immune from that.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Todd Hamby likes this.

12. Yes, until the end of it, I thought it sounded like a Jaco rip until he discarded it at about 1:04 really rocked right near the end. I was actually disappointed to see him trying to do Jaco, he got a great sound though.

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 9:18 AM

13. I've been playing since 1967 so I know how progression in music works I watched it happen. I too was blown away by Jaco when I first heard him and he did change the direction of electric bass but not everyone agrees that he took it in a positive direction, way too many Jaco copiers around but he did not make the style up, it came from somewhere and it was the Jazz upright bassists who were doing it first, Jaco was amazing don't get me wrong.
    Check out NHOP, he was amazing too. NHOP could out-Jaco Jaco on an upright and did it first. All Jaco did was bring what jazz players had been playing on upright for decades and brought it to the masses on electric with a lot of flash. Watch NHOP doing Donna Lee at about 4:00 from 1974, two years before Jaco's landmark album. Charles Mingus was another amazing upright bassist, check him out too.
    The only video so far I've seen in which Norman seemed to be trying to really cop theJaco style was in that solo which I was not impressed by until the end when he abandoned the faux Jaco and rocked.

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 3:32 PM
    ElMon likes this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

https://youtu.be/rCVffNZFc1U

Jaco cited Jerrry Jemmott as his biggest influence on electric. He also cited Tommy Cogbill too.

15. Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 6:32 PM
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Jaco, said himself that he was a Jerry Jemmott copy. Jaco was clearly exaggerating, but the influence is there. The live version of Ridin’ Thumb has at least two licks that Jaco quoted on later tracks. Jaco was quoted admiring Tommy Cogbill. Surely Jaco listened to Rocco Prestia too. All of these guys were good with the sixteenth note feel that Jaco took to warp drive.

On another topic, some have criticized Norman Watt-Roy for copying Jaco too. I say give him a break. In the Seventies, Larry Graham and Jaco had sounds that simply had not been there before. Lots of great bassist’s took the to absorb these styles. In defense of Watt-Roy, he came up with something genuinely groovy and danceable. That is not something I can say about Jaco, although I do not believe the dance club was Jaco’s goal.

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 7:06 PM

17. I'm sure he was influenced by them but to me anyway he's got a lot more jazz influence than R&B influence in fact I changed my post to reflect that in the above post before I saw this. I think Watt-Roy is a great player, the only thing I didn't like was the beginning of that solo, I just think too many players try to copy Jaco and no one will ever really be able to do him as well as he did himself. Jaco was a freak of nature. I forgot who said it but I believe it was one of his piano players that he wishes everyone would stop trying to copy him because no one ever will.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Jaco reminds me of Marcus in that I think he was an R&B player who went on to master Jazz. Jaco himself spoke of his R&B/Funk roots often.

19. I think he probably could have convincingly played anything he wanted to. :laugh:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021