Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Blood Brothers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, May 7, 2003.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    is there anyone here who likes this....band?

i'll keep my mouth shut for now.... :ninja:

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I read a review of "Burn Piano Island Burn" in Alternative Press and got the CD soon after. I happen to love it. It's one of those albums that I would recommend to almost no one, because many people would not even define it as music (it's one of those albums that my wife calls "a shower of s***"). I'm not sure my most open-eared friends would understand. But they know I'm weird about music... they just shake their heads.

As for the album itself: some of the vocal harmonies remind me of Mike Patton's work, but the voices are weirder sounding. For lack of a better vocabulary I'll call the music "math rock spazzcore".

While I was in the post-punk section I also picked up Arab On Radar's "Stolen Singles" CD, that's pretty amazing too.

3. Fuzzbass

Arab On Radar: definitely post-punk, not metal. Stripped down gtr/bs/dr, angular riffage, groovy beats... sorta reminds me of early early Devo and Metal Box PiL with a dash of Residents. If someone can help with better examples please jump in, and I'll go buy those albums too. :p

Big fan of Botch and DEP... seeing DEP live was mindblowing. Not familiar with Himsa... can you recommend an album, or shall I get their Greatest Hits package? ;)

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    hmm...

they played two bands before phat phunktion last saturday at a big festival on campus, and...to put it mildy, the band made me feel like i had been buttraped, but in the ears. i don't understand what about this band could be considered mathematical. all the songs sounded the same: lots of loud banging and yelling.

i liked the drummer though...and they had 4 rows of people up front who all knew the words so they must be doing something right, although that something escapes anything i will comprehend in my lifetime.

5. Fuzzbass

There's a good chance you'd feel the same way about BB even if you heard the album: they're simply one of those bands. But I must point out that opening bands often get buttraped on their sound. Dillinger Escape Plan kinda got hosed when I saw them open for Mr. Bungle: the vocalist was mixed too loud, result being that not even my hip friends could appreciate the virtuosity of the band (DEP managed to blow me away nonetheless).

6. DDAvenger

DDAvenger

Mar 1, 2002
    Deerfield, IL
    I saw them (The Blood Brothers) perform when I went to see AFI (If any of you haven't heard Hunter play bass I recommend checking them out), and IMHO they were HORRIBLE!!! Their two vocalists pranced around screeching (no way you could understand a word they were saying, even when they were trying to talk normally) and the band itself was just boring. They got blown away by the second opening act, the Explosion, and then of course AFI.

7. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I actually bought "Burn Piano Island Burn" without hearing much of the Blood Brothers and it caught me off guard but I think it is good nonetheless. It took a little getting used to but now I like their stuff. It's definately not for everyone though... For some odd reason as soon as I hear one of their songs the word "carnival" pops into my head... carni-core perhaps?

--justin

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thus is the life a mathrock/hardcore band. If you thought that was a buttraping, then you're probably only off of the desired effect of the band by a few degrees.

Not that I'm saying it's a bad thing. I dig Botch (moreso than DEP) and their more jazzly brothers Candiria, and sometimes, yes, it's kinda a bit Deliverance stylee, but it's part of the game.

9. I think DEP is the best hardcore/mathcore band I've heard...even though the screaming can be distracting, the music is amazing. From what I've heard, they're a lot less straight-forward than Botch and less metal-influenced than Candiria. Granted, I dig when Candiria does jazzy stuff, but once the distortion kicks in and the guy starts growling, I tune out.

10. Fuzzbass

I can understand how even those of us with wide-open ears wouldn't like the BB. I wouldn't really call it metal...despite the Bunglesque vox it's more like spazzy post-punk to me. I have to be in the mood for it.

I haven't checked out the enhanced portion of the CD yet... contains live stuff, I think.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Boy, if I didn't know any better, I'd swear you guys were discussing The Strapping Field Hands. THEY are a horrible band!

12. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I dig the Blood Brothers. I was supposed to go see them a month or so ago but at the last minute things got screwed up. A few of my friends from Madison did go though AND they met Cedric and Omar from At The Drive-In. Needless to say I was pissed on more than one level...

13. some call it mathematical, I call it random noises. Thumbs down.