Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Blue Van

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Against Will, May 17, 2005.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I normally don't bother watching MTV2's Subterranean, but I was the other night and caught these guys' video for "Revelation of Love".

At first I thought "Oh boy, Denmark has 'Nuggets'.", half expecting a tired retreading of the Scandinavian Invasion, but I was actually impressed with them. They know their stuff and take it back to the Mod roots; R&B, Jazz and blues.

So many groups from the ill-advised Garage rock revival seemed content with rearranging and ripping off old MC5 and Stooges riffs and clinging to them for dear life for 3 minutes, and more often than not, the riffs were duds. But, upon checking out some of their songs on their website, The Blue Van seem very capable and competent musicians, weaving a catchy melody which they use to springboard themselves forward, grabbing organ runs here, drum solos there, they're never anything but in complete control of their song and it never feels like they're killing time to make the song reach the 3 minute mark.

Of course, it still feels like toddlers dressing up in their parent's clothing. But The Blue Van have got good pop sense and solid chops. Reminds me of The Action or early Who and Creation.

I might pick up a copy, anyone else heard them?

2. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Yeah, The Blue Van is a great revival bands, another great revival band from Denmark is Baby Woodrose...do also check out the label Bad Afro Records which releases a lot of great modern garage rock... :bassist:

3. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Blue van's alright. I'll spin them on my show occasionally. The R&B influence is pretty strong, I think.