Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the bluebook for basses ?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godoze, Dec 8, 2002.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    has anyone checked out gc's instrumentexchange.com? This site supposedly gives you resale prices for your gear tho the two basses i checked in (Smith 6, Zon 6) were not in the database as far as sales went. just curious what other think. I think it'll snag a lot of folks into selling their gear for gc credit and they'll end up buying strings and effects pedals.

2. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
  3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Or you can just go to my website :D

Its free!!!

Go to the picture gallery and you will see alot of basses. About a year ago I started just throwing sold instruments over to the picture gallery with the asking price and all. I try to make it clear that they are sold instruments but not everyone reads....... and I don't spell well either. But I did get SOLD right ;) , I get alot of people confused thinking there forsale, but there sold. Its tuff.... yes the basses on the forsale pages are forsale, not the others.

Thanks

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Lots of good pics on Brian's site.

For resale values, Orion is probably most often used by stores but it's not all enclusive and sometimes it's just plain wrong. For higher end gear the valuations aren't of much use... more like a general purpose best guess.

I sure as heck wouldn't pay Orion for an online valuation, I'd use real world resources... like Talkbass, The Dudepit, TBL, FDP, etc. Find what the people who are actually buying are willing to spend.

5. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Orion helps out if your offered a deal and your riding the fence whether to or not. I agree it's not the end all of resources but if you need an answer right away it puts you in the ballpark but YMMV!

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

I 2nd Brad's Statement. Ask the people here and in the dudepit. Those are the people buying and selling the gear!

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Besides the forums, eBay will also give you a good idea how much people are paying for things. I would trust the forums more though, since there are a lot of uneducated people bidding on eBay.

8. EastCoast Ed

EastCoast Ed

Dec 31, 2001
    I'd like to get pricing opinions on a 1983 Fender Precision Gold Elite 1. Natural Ash body, complete with Heavy Duty Flight Type case. Mint condition, original owner, never gigged with. Will attempt to post pictures later. Thanks.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hmm...I wonder if people would be into a forum here at talkbass that is totally dedicated to getting people's estimates on instrument pricing. Would that be redundant or do you think that would be a good idea? It could be all general equipment in one forum and it could end up being a good archive of info. I know a lot of people feel we have enough or too many forums as it is but this would be genuinely useful.

brad cook

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's true gg but I've seen Orion be way off in both directions as far as value.

A guy I knew took a Korean Spector bass to a pawnshop (he removed the foil decal on the back of the headstock) and because of what they saw in Orion, they "only" gave him $1500.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Probably a good idea but even with the best intentions you'd have to take it with a grain of salt. Some people are just more tuned into the market than others and you have to decide who they are and how much faith you put into what they say. To come up with a useful valuation you need to follow the market closely, be void of any sentimentality towards a brand and then MAYBE you can come up with a fair assessment.

We've had a few ocassions here where people honestly think that a value is solid for a given bass, like a recent Sadowsky purchase. The buyer was pretty much told that he wouldn't have to take a loss if he decided he didn't want it. Sometimes that's true and sometimes it isn't. Bottom line, gear isn't worth much if you can't find someone who's willing to pay for it.