1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The blues of the little league coach

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Apr 7, 2009.

1. I coach little league girl softball, minors (8-10 years old) and tonight we started against one of the best team.

On top of that my starting pitcher gets stage fright and throws the ball everywhere but in the strike zone.

Awful game, trying to cheer them up, I can see their faces as we're getting trounced (final score: 15-1 and that's because there is a 5-run limit per inning and only 3 innings could fit).

I love the girls on my team but unfortunately I could not pick a good team as I have twins I wanted on the team, and they're not too good, and my assistant coach wanted his daughter and his niece on the team, and they're not good either...

To add insult to the injury, my cellphone rings in the middle of the game.

It was my wife freaking out, because every parent around her were calling the coach an idiot.

:D

Oh, the fun.

2. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    That is a difficult situation. Still, your gals scored a run off the top dogs (and if they really were the top dogs shouldn't they be in the majors:meh:) Your girls will probably be OK, I'm a little worried about the parents though - I found that the hardest part of my (mercifully terminated) soccer coaching career. :D

You may want to go to Costco and get a big tub of chill pills and make sure each parent takes a handful before each game. ;)

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I hear you. I coach my son's 3rd grade basketball team at school, and 8-10 year old flag football. The kids are always great. Some of the parents, not so much.

4. As I already told the wife, there is a volunteer form on our Web site, they can always print it out.

Last year my team ended second in the championship, this time it will be different but what matters is that the kids have fun, challenge themselves and progress.

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Man, being involved with Little League is like having a second full time job!

6. Actually there are 5 teams on my league and there is one freakishly good pitcher (10 years old, she strikes out adult male players, for crying out loud), one excellent one, two average and one not quite there yet.

I got pick #5 and the team we met had pick #2.

That's life :)

7. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    It sounds like the problem is people taking their baseball (or softball) way too seriously.

:rollno: Didn't you realize that you were supposed to be getting these girls ready for the Majors (oh wait, no WMLB). I mean they're already 8-10 years old. They can't afford to waste their time on a losing team. How can you possibly be teaching them hardwork, sportsmanship and building character if you're not winning. People that lose little league games a re bad people. If fact, they're hardly people at all :scowl:

8. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    There is no real fix to this and sadly never will be. This is a present-day cultural issue. Sports fit into the human pysche way way differently than they did 30 years ago.

The parents who are acting like jerks and calling you names played sports as children just for the fun of it. And the people compelling them to play-the adults in their lives, wanted them to play for the inherent character building that once was a part of team sports. The focus back then was having fun and it wasn't whether you won or lost. Nowadays it isn't about having fun, it is more about winning and if you happen to have some fun along the way that's just a bonus.

Parents seem to think it is okay to act atrociously, lesser skilled kids sit out or are severly limited in playing time, and suddenly the whole family is living in the mini-van feeding a machine that has nothing to do with fun, character, or fairplay.

And the cruelest joke of all, is from T-ball right through varsity level, is the mindset that if the parents just keep staying involved, keep at it, keep their kids playing, that somehow, somewhere, their kid has an actual shot at a high level, meaningful scholarship, and even a career in pro sports.
    Pro sports, where drug use and law breaking are tolerated,
    grown men act like spoiled babies, are paid ridiculous sums of money, and ruin their lives and those within their orbits.

9. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    I'm not sure how this works, but by the sound of it you prioritise your own kids and the other coach's kids over the rest? When coaching small minors, you are supposed to keep track of how much every kid plays to make sure they play about the same amount. If you don't, and rather make sure those you want makes the team and gets playtime, then screw you. Why are you here complaining?

Sorry if I misinterpret what you write. But somehow I don't think I am.

10. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    Sorry... but that made me really LOL... :D

I've always thought that a prerequisite to a kid's parent(s) being allowed to watch their kids' games is that they volunteer a bit of THEIR time as a coach/official... then maybe they would have a little more respect for what the coaches and officials are sacrificing/contributing so that these little rug rats can take part in sports.

MakiMyTwoCents.

11. I am talking about the draft. We have one so that we have even teams.

I keep track in an Excel spreadsheet of each position played by each player, how many at-bats, etc...

My own daughters are not given any different treatment.

12. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Ok ^_^ Good man then.

I salute those taking the time to coach teams of little kids myself. I'd never had the nerves, and if I ever get kids I for sure won't complain about the coaches of their teams. :p

13. Obviously old thread, but it's a new season! I coach my son's tee ball team (5 and 6 year olds), and assistant coach my other sons team where they just started pitching (7 and 8 year olds).

It's great to see the younger ones get better as the season goes on.

It's also really tough to watch the older ones try and pitch for the first time. I almost can't watch my son pitch it's too nerve racking ;).

I will take this opportunity for the proud dad moment though ;)

4614124796_e96f8f4e0a.
    My younger son Steven hitting a HR. The kids usually can only go to first on a hit, they let him circle the bases on this.

4613439978_f5ddd0079e.
    Chris, my older one. Proud that he can take the mound at 7 years old and deal with parents and kids cheering, etc. Also had a league official ask his age on more then one occasion ;).

14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Designated by age, not skill.

Sadly, the parents often get riled up about things than the kids do. Its part of the territory I guess.

losing-edge.
    I THOUGHT THIS WAS 'MERICA!

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I coached my kids soccer team once. I will never do it again.

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I was a coach for my little bother's baseball team. What a PITA that turned out to be. I'm glad Im not having kids.

17. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    up until about 4 yrs ago, I was a travel soccer coach. Started in 1984. It was dealing with the parents that drove me out of it.

18. It's fun to see an old thread come back.

I am not coaching this sport again.

Before that I coached rugby and believe me, sex-obsessed beer-drinking crazy teenage rugby players are easier to handle than softball parents.

19. Been pretty fortunate with having kids with good parents on the team. Most have no interest in baseball, so just want their kids to have fun.

I'm sure it'll get more difficult as the kids get older. Right now my 7year old's team is right at that age where kids start to quit baseball.

Adam

20. Baseball you say?

Have you tried using tazers on them?