Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Blues Walk

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jaggedsphere, Jun 4, 2003.

1. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    anyone familiar with this song? I am having trouble figuring out the progression. any help appreciated.:confused:

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    here's a guess:

I----IV----I----I
    IV----IV----I----I
    V----IV-----I----I

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I can't help you with the progression, but I was just wondering if you are referring to the Dexter Gordon song "Blues Walk" or is it some other song?

4. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    yup its the Gordon Dexter song. Any one know who originally wrote that tune? there are so many artists who have done it.
    It sounds to me that it is not just a simple I-IV-V. but i dunno........:confused:

5. JazZ-A-LoT

JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    As a matter of fact i played it last night, it's just basic 12 bar blues and the chords are

-Fm7-
    -Bbm7-
    -Fm7-

Turnaround -G7- -C7-

Great song enjoy.

6. Boplicity

Allmusicguide.com lists the composer as Lou Donaldson.

7. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I was pretty sure that tune belonged to the great jazz trumpet player Clifford Brown .

8. Boplicity

I delved deeper into the archives of All Music Guide. They say that Lou Donaldson's songs appeared on several albums including the Clifford Brown Blue Note album "Clifford Brown Memorial Album."

I am not an expert on either atist, but I do take the comments at allmusicguide.com to mean Donaldson wrote "Blues Walk", a song which Brown later played.

By the way, I went to Amazon.com to listen to soundbites from Donaldson's album titled "Blues Walk" and discovered I really like his alto sax work. That is the beauty of TalkBass.com. One can learn a lot from other members. I may buy that album. It is the mellow kind of jazz I prefer. Maybe I'll go check Clifford Brown too.

One other thing, I had heard "Blues Walk" many, many times, but never knew the name and certainly not the artist.

9. Boplicity

OK, I researched further because ArmyBass seems so certain that Clifford Brown wrote "Blues Walk." I have now found out there are two songs, both well known. One is Lou Donaldson's "Blues Walk.' The other is --yes, Army Bass--Clifford Brown's "The Blues Walk."

Jagged Sphere's original question refers to "The Blues Walk." Therefore Army Bass is correct. Clifford Brown did compose that song.

I went to Amazon.com to listen to soundbites of Brown's "The Blues Walk", but as luck would have it, the song isn't sampled. On the happy side, several of his other songs are sampled and the trumpeter was wonderful. I really liked his work. What a tragedy he died so young at 25 in an automobile accident along with his pianist! The world lost a great talent.

10. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    Yes, the song I am refering to is the blues swing tune. Is it indeed a basic 1-4-5? If so, what is the bass doing with it? I HAVE to know!
    :confused:
    :bassist:

11. JazZ-A-LoT

JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    I gave you chords and the rest is pretty easy to just figure out by ear.