The Blues

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Nagrom, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    So, here I sit, Friday evening. Just got off the phone; tonight's gig is cancelled. BL showed up, started to load in, and got the word. A DJ was driving in from out of town instead of us. Nice fill-in gig for me, two nights. Got all of about an hour's notice.

And I guess that's why they call it....

2. intheory

intheory

Nov 17, 2009
    SW Florida
    Ugh-sorry man!!

3. Bummer. :(

4. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Moral of this Story.........
    Put away the bass, become a DJ and work whenever you want!

5. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    Nah, I'm a musician, not a DJ.

6. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I feel you.....
    There are a lot of us "musicians" at home right now on a Friday night typing on a computer instead of out entertaining a crowd.
    Stupid DJ's!

7. Rich 67 jazz

Rich 67 jazz

Nov 25, 2010
    New Jersey
    That sucks

8. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Last night we played a major County Fair side stage. Josh Turner was the national act.

It was unseasonably cold (again) which has had an impact on several of our outside shows this year. But the sad thing was they had a DJ stage 500 ft away from our stage.

There were several thousand kids 16-21 dancing having a great time. We had only a handful of people, at the embarassing level. We could hardly hear ourselves over the DJ volume.

Crowds have been disapointing, outside of SummerFest this year. I will be post a thread soon.

Blue

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I hope you still got paid. :atoz:

10. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    Argh, that makes me sad like you wouldn't believe. Even before I got 'into music' I just could not wrap my head around what was so great about a DJ.

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    ...breach of contract.

12. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    No kidding. Nope, live to play another day. If I don't make a fuss, maybe we'll get another gig there that can be cancelled without notice...

13. +1, LOL. I’ve never done that - but there were a few times in the past when I thought about it. :D

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Yep...

15. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    It's amazing what happens to a DJ's "instruments" when someone carelessly spills some liquids on them. Hmmmmm.......lotta liquids in the bar.........:ninja::ninja::bag:

16. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    The question is what can we do as a band to swing the crowd over to our stage. I got paid pretty well for last nights show but the crowd was scarce. It may be time to change our classic rock set to a Dance set.

17. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    ^ You mean changing with the times could keep a band relevant and working???

No way!
    It's Sweet Home Alabama and Honky Tonk Woman 'til the end.
    That's the ways it's always been, that's the way it's always gonna be.

18. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    ^^ Sometimes I would just rather play to 100's of people that want to hear what I'm playing than make a lot of $$. Of course Both would be better.

P.S. Any Pics of the Norton?

19. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    If your playing to 100's of people,your probably making a lot of $$ and they want to hear what your playing.

blue

20. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks Blue, At our last show, maybe 120 people showed over the course of the night. Most stayed in the separate dining area. There was no dance floor but there were tables by the stage and pool tables behind them. I just got worried because I expected more people to come sit and listen to us up close. These were youngsters that were probably talking and hooking up. The optimistic side of me says that they were as close as they could get but still carry on conversations.

Sorry for the long read and to the OP if I hijacked the thread a bit.

Gerry

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021