The Blues

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Nagrom, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Yep, cancellations suck. Happens here, too, once in awhile. But, we're lucky in that we play at places where they like our music, even if it is a small crowd most of the time. As for DJs, they do take away some business from live bands. Whatca gonna do, though?

2. BagsBass

BagsBass

Mar 7, 2009
    a successful bar owner once told me, without even knowing that i was a musician, that he would much rather hire a DJ than a band for these reasons: pay 1 guy vs 5....don't have to give out free drinks to 5 guys and their girlfriends.....don't have to deal with complaining or whining or a BAD band.....crowd usually likes the DJ more anyway.....just sayin

3. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    We are a dying breed.

4. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Agreed, I have said this before but a lot of guys won't face reality.

A group of 21 year old females come into a club we were playing and during our break I over heard one of the saying "It's a band, let's go"

Sorry guys it's reality.

Blue

5. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Some lyrics from "Rollover DJ" by Jet ;)

Well I know that you think you're the star
    A pill poppin' jukebox is all that you are
    So tell me it ain't that way
    What's your name?

Hey Rollover DJ
    You're spinning away
    All my time
    Hey, who cares what you play
    Say whatever you say, I don't mind
    Hey, roll over DJ, if you don't mind

6. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Deep, but it went over my head?

Blue

7. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Blue, I had a similar, funnier experience. I was on stage with the band and we just started playing a classy wine bar/cafe. Two 20 something hotties at the bar, turn around and jokingly take the remote for the TV and point it at the band, pretending to turn down the volume.

DJ's aren't the only enemy. People want to talk and lack the attention span to watch a band jam for an hour-unless they have some attachment to the material.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021