Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Bob Moog Thread.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Aug 18, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thats sad...cancer sucks :scowl:

2. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Sad. Judging from what I've read there, he's got days to live... tops.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    First Greg Curbow...now Bob Moog...

:(

4. Oh no! Bob Moog is an amazing guy, it'd be such a shame to lose him. :(

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Oh man this is terrible, I can't really add anything to what's already been said, an amazing guy.

6. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Oh, man. :( What a shock and what depressing news. Bob's always been like a hero to me. I really appreciate people who push the boundaries of what's been done, and he's WAY near the top of that list.

Danged nice fellow, too. Back in my ancient past, I once wrote him a letter (actual mail... pre-Internet) and asked if he would be willing to share the schematics for a couple of synthesizer modules. I was a budding mad scientist type at the time and had cracked a lot of the problems involved with building one's own synth, but there were some things I simply couldn't work out. I thought looking at what he had done might help.

Without hesitation (or charge), he sent me a packet containing the ENTIRE set of schematics for everything in their modular synthesizer line! You could argue that this was pre-MiniMoog, that he had no idea how commercially successful synths would be, that he was only going to sell a few of the modular behemoths and didn't really think releasing schematics would cost him any money, yada yada yada...

... but it was still an astoundingly nice thing to do, and I never, ever forgot his kindness and willingness to share.

Mon Rominee, thanks for making us all aware of this.

Sigh.

'rick

7. just googling the Moog man atm.

regardless of my knowledge of the guy, his condition is tragic. :(

the names of his products are awesome. maybe its just me but i have a respect for oddly named equipment :)

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Thank God they finished that movie.

http://www.zu33.com/moog/

forward thinking genius should be in the dictionary under Bob Moog.

9. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I don't know what to say really, except that I'm sad about this. :(

I've been a part-time synthhead for many years, and I've always been a fan of the Moog sound. Especially the classic Minimoog and Taurus pedals... love them Taurus pedals!

I'm hoping for a miracle, though this does look like the end of his journey.

10. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wow, this is very sad news.

Great link, thank you very much!

11. :(

Thank you Mr. Moog for making my Concertmate MG-1. Porcelain wouldn't be the same song it is without it.

:bawl:

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's really sad. I always loved hearing his innovative products on my favorite albums. My prayers are with his friends and family.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    [​IMG]

14. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    That sucks, him and Curbow in the same week? Damn, a grim time for bassists and musicians everywhere. :bawl:

15. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I knew he was on the edge but it's still a shock that he finally passed away. Another great loss just like Gary Curbow. My thoughts are with his employees and his family.

16. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Rest in peace.

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Makes me look at his signature on my moogs in a different way tbh.