Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Bolwaygo Church Choir

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Nov 2, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    for a music task at school we had to analyse world music. And there was a piece by The Bolwaygo Church Choir called 'Rain Maker'. It was incredible. It made me smile, and i have no idea why.

There were polyrythums all over the place, it reminded me of a movie, but it was sound. It was high, then slow, it was amazing

I cant find anything about them on the net, and ive checked the cd 'super' store, to no avail. Can anyone direct me to an MP3 or something of some sort, i really intrigued by these guys

Thanks!
    -Kirbo

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Are you certain of the spelling of Bolwago? I did a search and couldn't find anything either. Also, do you know what country, city or state this choir is located. Maybe knowing the location may help narrow down the possibilities.

I am chancing a guess. I spent some time in the Bulawayo airport in Zimbabwe. Is it at all remotely possible that the choir in question is an African Christian choir from Bulawayo, also sometimes spelled Buluwayo? If so, that would explain the polyrhytmns.

3. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Well the music was indeginious, so there definatley a tribal feel. I honestly have no idea of the spelling, i copied it down in a hurry. I hate this to sound racist, but the group didnt sound very caucasian.

Mabye that helps?

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

OK, I found some information. There actually is a Bulawayo Church Choir. It is also known as the Bulawayo Central Church Choir. Furthermore, three of their songs appear on the soundtrack of the movie "The Power of One" scored by Hans Zimmer. Bulawayo is in Zimbabwe.

A sound bite of their song "Limpopo River Song" can be heard at Amazon.com. Beyond that I don't know where other music of theirs can be found or heard.

I hope this is the same group you have heard.

5. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yeah this is the group. I checked out the song that i was looking for on amazon, and it was them. now, i just have to find the CD in a store...:rolleyes:

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why not buy it from Amazon - I get CDs from them all the time? They are very reliable!

I've heard of them before - South Africa has a great tradition of choral singing - like Ladysmith Black Mambazo, who appear on Paul Simon's albums. :)

But I would never have got that from Bol way go!! ;)

7. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im 17, dont own a credit card, and parents are old fashioned..'im not putting my credit card number on the internet'....

ah well...ill find it eventually :D thanks guys!

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But surely if they are old-fashioned, they would want to encourage you in your new enthusiasm for "spiritual music" and dedication to school work!!?? ;)

9. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Well bruce what they want and what they get are two completley different things :)

After 6 months of sweet talking, ive just managed to get them to sign up to ebay. now, the wrold, erm, internet sorry, it my oyster. to a point.

if i actually look hard, i may find the CD. or i acn ask the music teacher for his copy :)