THE BONGO CLUB (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Nov 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Kerplunk

Kerplunk

Sep 29, 2015
    The Bongo is such a great bass. I agree that it's versatility would likely make any new string sound great, but, I found the Cobalt, rounds at least, to sound exceptionally good. Then after a fortnight they seem to have died, and become dull. I can't afford that sort of maintenance. A shame really.

timplog likes this.
  2. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I've liked roundwound Cobalts on StingRays, especially my rosewood fingerboard StingRay, but I’ve found them to be to bright on my Bongo — they ping when fretted. No problems for me with the longevity of Cobalts.

3. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I use Cobalt flatwounds on my Bongo and I agree Rounds are a little to bright. The Cobalt Flats really do even things out. Oh and they last for ages too!

4. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I use Chromes on my Bongo. I'd like to try Cobalt Flats.

5. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I have tried Chromes on my Bongo and they sound great, but I found Cobalt Flats retain more of that Bongo tone which you can lose with some Flatwound strings.

Runnerman likes this.
  6. Monyet

Monyet

Aug 25, 2018
    Netherlands
    My Bongo is in the shop (preamp issues) and now I miss it. I have decided I need a second one.

7. salutations y'all
    probably getting a Bongo4 and it's got the older style tuners-
    noticed they're huge and they've got 4 screws each holding the key in place from the back.

there are newer lightweight tuners available on more current basses, are they exchangeable with these older styles and do they need different holes drilled or are they direct replacements?
    will they cover any possibly unused original holes?

have a set of hipshot ultralights I'd prefer but they have only a single screw mounting and will never cover all the older screw holes in the headstock.

anybody looked into this?
    thanks very much!

8. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    No, the new, lightweight tuners will not cover the holes of the older tuners. They are not direct replacements. Here are the new ones:

753FA631-DF62-426D-ADE8-E1564FB28226.jpeg

timplog and TolerancEJ like this.
  9. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    There is zero neck dive on my Bongo with old tuners so I've never even thought about it. I have a Hipshot drop tuner also which even adds a bit of weight. That's on a 4 string. Can't speak for 5 or 6.

timplog, 96Brigadier and TolerancEJ like this.
  10. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Let me add that I prefer the look of the older Bongos (and Big Als, too) with the clover tuners.

vates and timplog like this.
  11. hey thanks that was really quick and definitive, and appreciated!

the newer ones were certainly a major rethink.

runnerman your point re neck dive is helpful and great to know. seems as we know some manufacturers are more able to build in this kind of balance without neck dive- or the need to modify from stock to make it work.
    cheers EBMM

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    JEDI BASS likes this.
  12. 96Brigadier

96Brigadier Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    I have two Bongos, one with the old tuners and one with the new. To me they both feel and balance the same.

13. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah my Bongo4 has older style tuners plus a matching Hipshot D-tuner and the bass is still one of my lightest out of 20+ that I currently have. No neck dive at all.

R Briere, Runnerman and timplog like this.
  14. Monyet

Monyet

Aug 25, 2018
    Netherlands
    I have one with the old tuners and no neck dive.

R Briere and timplog like this.
  15. Mine is a model from 2012. I also have no neckdive.

R Briere and timplog like this.
  16. Monyet

Monyet

Aug 25, 2018
    Netherlands
    My Bongo is back from the shop. I still need a second one, I concluded my backup is more than fine but it's no Bongo. It's either going to be a 4HS or a 5H.

R Briere, HD007, timplog and 2 others like this.
  17. craig0316

craig0316 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2017
    [​IMG]Is this the right club for this?

JEDI BASS, R Briere, LeonD and 6 others like this.
  18. Rich_Briere

Rich_Briere

Jul 31, 2003
    Without sounding like a Wanker, on a fair number of encounters with players having problems with neck dive on almost ANY instrument I've found that it's most often a problem with the strap being used. I've never quite understood paying $1500 to $10,000 for a bass and using a $3 ACME strap with it yet I see it all the time.

May I also make another recommendation that makes a WORLD of difference? Thanks...I shall. :) With LOXX your strap is held tightly against the Bongo (or any instrument) and that helps a bunch in keeping your bass well balanced. I highly recommend that you get the XL version for any high quality strap. It comes in several colors including Chrome and Black. Once you pop these on you'll never use anything else. #bassilicious

14568036_1280004075364918_1864994192812985837_n.jpg

: 14568036_1280004075364918_1864994192812985837_n.jpg

Pedulla-Player and Stevorebob like this.
  19. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    New Jersey
    Any one get new BFR Bongo (Cherry with the Ash body) that already has a Bongo? Just wondering if the change in body wood with this model is better, worse, or just meh compared to just about every other Bongo since they're basswood. GASsing hard and not sure if this is something which sets it as a must get or something to avoid.

coyoteboy likes this.
  20. coyoteboy

coyoteboy Bongo destroys villages and does my laundry Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I really want. As a yin to the yang of my Barolo.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021