THE BONGO CLUB (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Nov 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. dave1812

dave1812

Sep 13, 2019
    Hello fellow Bongo Fans!
    This started on EBMMs official Forum as a "Dream Bass" Thread.
    I own a 2016 PDN Bongo 5HH, and i'm planning to build a new Body with a Triplebucker and Singlecoil for it.
    The Idea being that the Triplebucker covers the Bongo's Pickup Placement aswell as the Stingray Sweetspot.
    Now, the research i've done to find exact specs on the Bongo Electronics and Pickups has come up pretty much empty.
    I've attached the Mockup of my Dream Bongo and the Underside of the Neck PU.
    Can someone with a Bongo HS have a peek under the Pickguard, and check if the Singlecoil has a second coil hidden underneath it, for hum cancelling? Or if it's a split singlecoil, kinda like a P Bass.
    I'm still trying to figure out how to make the triplebucker. Guess Custom Wound is the only option, but i'm missing a lot of specs for that...
    Custom Bongo BFR Fanned Frets.jpg
    Bongo Pickup.jpg

aus_bass, kevs, brocco and 4 others like this.
  2. dave1812

dave1812

Sep 13, 2019
  3. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    I don't think I ever posted my Bongo here. It was the first bass I ever spent over a grand on, and my dream bass for more than 10 years. (Unfortunately, I'm selling it in the classfies, since I bought another 5-string and I can't justify keeping both.)

_DSC0003.jpg _DSC0016.jpg _DSC0017.jpg _DSC0023.jpg _DSC0019.jpg

4. vinnie6

vinnie6

Dec 25, 2011
    IL

Attached Files:

TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I finally took a couple of nice photos of the new Bongo. This is the GC edition in Barolo, so Sophia is her name. After playing her at least 6 times over a number of days/weeks, I just couldn’t resist any longer. The best B string of any bass I’ve played. The widest variety of tones of any bass I’ve played. It isn’t like anything else I’ve played. I’m guessing y’all are already aware, but I’m stunned with this bass. Definitely my new #1 5’er.

It’s hard to do the neck justice with photos, but it’s stunning from too to bottom. A few photos... are there numbers to be had?

5433554A-E7D2-4BF3-AE61-2C91459B0FDC.jpeg

6E23F22E-6320-4534-9E5F-610947B055B9.jpeg

B8C450CF-6458-4D6D-8132-5284D3261A91.jpeg

04BE800F-CCA0-45EF-A3E0-61AED48D82B6.jpeg

kevs, brocco, Shaggai and 8 others like this.
  6. craig0316

craig0316 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2017
    What a beauty!

BassJuju likes this.
  7. Rich_Briere

Rich_Briere

Jul 31, 2003

As a fellow Bongolian I 'm BEGGING you NOT to sell your Bongo......Within 15 minutes you'll regret it more than anything you've ever done in your life. How many basses do you currently own? ✨

kevs, Pedulla-Player and 96Brigadier like this.
  8. Do what I did to justify having two 5ers: string one of them E-A-D-G-C. Of course, in my case one of them - the one I string B-E-A-D-G - is multiscale.

Don’t sell that beauty. You’ll regret it.

brocco, R Briere and Pedulla-Player like this.
  9. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Rounds and flats even!

10. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    When I bought my Bongo, these where in the case. Anyone ever use these?

8486CBC6-9942-460C-B3A2-45B022484F88.jpeg

11. Fuchsia + Black
    full.jpg

armybass, Skygoneblue, kevs and 18 others like this.
  12. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    kevs likes this.
  13. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Agree!

14. klandesten

klandesten

Sep 21, 2006
    Montréal
    please a number

15. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I posted my Bongo above and while I really liked it, I always felt like it needed a bit of bling. I had seen some Alperious pickguards on Ric’s and I liked them. Viewing the website gave me quite a few ideas. I will say that Alper was amazing to work with, was totally committed to my satisfaction and turned things around pretty quickly. Some photos for your perusal...

https://www.alperious.com/

Attached Files:

16. Hendricks97

Hendricks97

Jan 3, 2017
    I love the look of those pickguards but can't justify the price personally

17. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I understand... I’m sure they aren’t for everyone for that reason. Given that we spent an hour or so discussing my goals, he sent 2 or 3 versions and colors, then sent the final design, shipped it in excellent packaging, with case candy, and it arrived in 3 days from Istanbul turkey, I didn’t mind the cost. Oh yeah, and it’s unique to my bass.

I’m just saying the guy provides a really cool unique product with buckets of customer service. That’s worth a lot to me.

R Briere, 96Brigadier and HeavyDuty like this.
  18. Monyet

Monyet

Aug 25, 2018
    Netherlands
    That looks gorgeous!

19. 96Brigadier

96Brigadier Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    Not looking for exact price, but wondering what price range that pickguard is in. e.g. $100-200, or $200-300, etc. If you're willing to share that would be fantastic.

20. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    $250 all in. There was a lot of time, back and forth, getting the design right. I’m working on #2 for my Tony Franklin.

HeavyDuty and 96Brigadier like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021