THE BONGO CLUB (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Nov 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. 96Brigadier

96Brigadier Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    Nice, thanks for sharing. Pricey but not unexpectedly so given it's fully custom.

2. Hendricks97

Hendricks97

Jan 3, 2017
    Is anyone having noise issues with their Bongo? I've been hearing a lot more noise recently and a clicking when my cell phonegets near it

3. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    No not with the bass but I can see a phone possible having an effect. When I have my Iphone in my front pocket close to my wireless IEM receiver I get a lot of interference. They do put out a significant magnetic field.

R Briere likes this.
  4. I read this exact thing from a couple owners on the Bongo Facebook group. No real cause was determined. It sounds super annoying. My Bongo is a 2003 and I have never had a noise problem. Probably a combination of a few issues

5. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Nope.

6. rmcfee

rmcfee

Jul 5, 2012
    Why is the Bongo an extremely high grade axe? Ergonomics? Tone?

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2020
  7. Kerplunk

Kerplunk

Sep 29, 2015
    Build quality. Balance. Playability. Versatility.

R Briere likes this.
  8. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    New Jersey
    If I could request a number for the club. I've actually been holding out on showing her off, but I figured that everyone could use some bass pics. I picked her up used from GC, tried to visit her since she was sort of local but snow and work both conspired against it. Four year no interest financing was really the selling point other than the bass itself. Worst case it would go back. Obviously since she's still mine.
    20191215_125101_resized.jpg 20191215_125111_resized.jpg 20200530_122538_resized.jpg

Looks like previous owner was reading my mind. Purchased a set of chrome flat wounds to put on her, already had flats - kept them on since it they couldn't have been on that long to begin with. Neck is close in feel to my Stingray Special 5, maybe the Stingray is just tiniest amount smoother. Very powerful electronics, don't hear any noise otherwise though. It has been pretty much a constant practice stablemate since I got her in December, between a tight rotation of 4 other basses. Gets played about 3 times as often as any of the others. I did get a maple fret wrap after the pics - the one in the pics came off the Stingray.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Nice!!!

R Briere and Shaggai like this.
  10. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Question for the Bongo owners. I am maybe interested in a Bongo 6. But what is worrying me is the small lower horn. Is it poking in your leg when playing seated? At home I always play seated without a strap. It the Bongo 6 comfy to play seated that way? Same goes for the Bongo 4 and 5 I guess...

11. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I have a 5 and it’s very comfortable to play seated. The bass is well balanced, light, and rests easily on my leg. The balance shows up when standing as well. I would presume the 6 would be similar.

craig0316 and HeavyDuty like this.
  12. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    So no poking of the small horn in your leg? It looks like it does...

13. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    No... I’ve never experienced any issues with that.

R Briere and Les Fret like this.
  14. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Ok good to know. I was a bit worried about that.

How is it for slapping? Is the front pickup not too close to the neck to interfere with double plucking etc.?

15. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Sorry, not something I do very much.

16. Honestly I found it a little uncomfortable sitting at first but I think I just got used to it. I don't find it hard to slap

17. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I do find my Bongo 4HH more uncomfortable seated than other basses but as someone said, you can probably adjust your position and find a compromise that works.

18. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Ok thanks. I have read this from others as well. I guess a Bongo 6 will be worse than a 4 when playing seated without strap? I guess I can only find out when I try one myself.

TolerancEJ and Runnerman like this.
  19. kevs

kevs

Feb 15, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Just bought a 4HH in the fuchsia sparkle finish. Should arrive in a few days. I've gassed for this bass for so long. It'll join my classic stingray as my main go to fleet of basses. I'm stoked!

HD007, JEDI BASS and R Briere like this.
  20. Rich_Briere

Rich_Briere

Jul 31, 2003
    All Hail the Mighty Bongo !!! music_man_1590706933.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021