THE BONGO CLUB (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Nov 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Love that neck! And, big fan of purple and anything with sparkle!

Nice purchase, VERY NICE!

2. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    She is a beauty! Is the official color Fuchsia Sparkle or "Barolo"? My Bongo is Barolo and I love the color.

Whoever came up with the idea of taking common maple and over cooking it in the kiln needs a huge bonus from every guitar and bass maker. The look is gorgeous!

3. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I’ve been playing my Bongos the last couple of services and last night took both. They are simply glorious in every way. Hands down the best 5’s I’ve every played.

Wolfhound32 likes this.
  4. Bunky

Bunky

Jul 12, 2011
    Playing guitar 20’years and playing bass mostly past year and a half. Self taught on piano.

Have a Rick 4003, and had a Sri no ray on order but that didn’t happen cause of financial issues with car. Anyways I have the opportunity to drop some cash on a nice bass.

now my question. Why should or shouldn’t I get a bongo 6 string?

timplog likes this.
  5. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Bongo is an awesome choice, but do you play 6’s now?

6. Bunky

Bunky

Jul 12, 2011
    Just 4

7. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Well... FWIW, I spent a lot of time and money trying to play 6’s. It wasn’t that I couldn’t, I just felt more at home on 5’s and 4’s. Bongos are the only 5’s that I play... nothing sounds better. I played a 15K Alembic. Bongo better.

I primarily play 4’s. The phrasing makes sense, the neck feels good, and I like it better.

I’d say get a 5 and Rick out. I’m sure for every one that agrees with me, there will be an equal number that disagree.

Best of luck. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in any bongo you choose.

Wolfhound32 likes this.
  8. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I don’t think you find anyone in this thread who will dissuade you from getting a Bongo. We’re all fans. My Bongo is the most ergonomic, easiest playing, best looking and most versatile bass I own. The number of strings is your choice. Get a 6 if that’s what suits you; I’m happy limiting myself to 5 strings.

9. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I played at a studio jam last week. I had all sorts of pedal board problems and finally bypassed it entirely. Then I had a farty tone that was entirely displeasing. Figured it was the batteries and popped out the old ones. The backups I keep in my case had a manufacture date of 2005. Well that's not good but maybe the batteries still are. Nope, one had a swelled base and the other was barely holding a charge. Played the session with my nearly dead batteries sounding like I was going thru blown speakers. Fart fart fart. The next day I picked up new batteries and installed them. Bass sounds like angels again and pedal board has no problems. Lesson learned - replace the batteries annually regardless of need, and cycle thru the backup in the bass case so the backup will be good if I need it in between swaps.

I know adding an active/passive switch is impossible in this instrument but a "hey idiot your battery is getting low light" would be a nice and probably possible upgrade.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    timplog, Runnerman and Wolfhound32 like this.
  10. SteveBassJr

SteveBassJr It all sounds the same, It's all one song!

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I picked up in Egyptian smoke colored Bongo. Fretless HSP. I need to replace the volume pot. Does anyone have any experience replacing one?

11. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Last time I had a bongo I didn’t know TB was a thing..... I’ve been chasing a bongo six for a while again and low and behold the fates put it all together yesterday..... Valentine’s Day of all days.... I love my wife. She’s tolerant

i had a 6 stealth for 2 weeks but it vanished as quick as I got it as it was the only bass that would be taken on trade for a game changer bass(not the actual game change) at the time.

anywho, with our further ado is there numbers up in this beeeaatch?!!

91EF7CF5-D94A-4957-91A2-A96527B149B2.jpeg 640EE1DE-9D97-41A0-851C-A515D1892F7C.jpeg 0BC3E872-D867-4514-AC7B-E76DD8FE9DF6.jpeg EAFFBFF6-33F1-469E-BBEB-8422869BA4E0.jpeg
    Case and candy included shwankiest case I’ve ever seen. Not the sturdiest mind you but it sure looks freakin saweet! 36319D0D-6833-436D-9DC8-5794506A0E03.jpeg 0F02CC6F-5023-4410-A91C-6B20F3616289.jpeg

12. SteveBassJr

SteveBassJr It all sounds the same, It's all one song!

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Beautiful!!! What a bass that must be!

AB Nate likes this.
  13. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Oh yeah!
    It’s actually got a bit of a cat and mouse story too. I’ve chased it on and off for 4-5 yrs. it’s just been sitting since new. Covered in dust and film....unplayed.

gave her a nice bath and set up last night with another tweak this morning and some new strings. The old ones were the originals I believe. And under all of the grimes, not a scratch. Dead mint!

Still had the plastic on the pick guard.....I had to take it off!!! Toiled with leaving it but.... gross.
    I’m very stoked to add this one in particular to my collection.

SteveBassJr likes this.
  14. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Yep... that one is special. I really dig the color... like it can’t make up its mind. Does it have a name?

AB Nate likes this.
  15. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Not yet. It’s still getting settled into the family.
    The color is called Rootbeer. The gold hardware really sets it off too!

BassJuju, picnic01 and SteveBassJr like this.
  16. Gold can be hit or miss but it looks great here! Congrats

17. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    I agree. Thanks!

picnic01 likes this.
  18. Nakoatron

Nakoatron Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I can't stress how much I LOVE the feel and playability of my bongo.
    However I am really, really struggling with the pickup positions and my b string striking the magnetic poles under heavy slap playing (it's going to be near impossible to retrain my technique to play lighter just for this bass).

I've got my pickups extremely low, to where it's almost useless for anchoring while playing the b.

Anyone else deal with this issue? How did you fix it? I want this bass to work out so freaking bad.
    20210326_211151-01.jpeg 20210326_211238-01.jpeg

Rich_Briere, timplog and AB Nate like this.
  19. coyoteboy

coyoteboy Bongo destroys villages and does my laundry Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Maybe a string change? Perhaps something stiffer would be less prone to this issue.

20. Nakoatron

Nakoatron Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Turns out not being on talkbass for a few days is super productive, got the set up a bit more dialed in and not having the issue any longer.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021