1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the bongo...why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassinator89, Feb 23, 2008.

1. bassinator89

bassinator89

Oct 24, 2004
    I've always wondered what purpose the...shape...of the bongo serves? I mean, it's not like REAL ugly, and I have actually never played one, but when I see someone with a bongo on here, they have more than one! This bass must be pretty good...

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    It was designed by / in collaboration with BMW's design department. I don't think there is any real advantage / disadvantage to the shape itself (ie ergonomics etc), its just designed to look "modern" and "interesting".

3. I've owned two and would LOVE to find a 4H stealth. They are just a great bass overall.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

You nailed it.

Pair001.

5. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I personally don't understand how anybody can NOT like the Bongo's shape. I think it's pretty sexy. :bag:

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I can understand it, people have different taste!

7. you know what, I never knew that BMW co designed it. Now it makes PERFECT sense. Put a bongo next to a 5 series and take a photo, someone! :D

In all seriousness though I think they're fantastic, but like much of BMW's current designs a bit love or hate.

Great modern twist on a classic shape IMO.

8. I like Bongo's but wouldn't take a Beatle bass if somone gave it to me :D

9. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    I was lucky enough to play one and it is an amazing bass lol. I didn't want to put it down. And I really like the shape as well :D

10. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    That reminds me, I was in my local mom n' pop store and I saw one of those guitars with that was included with those VW cars at one point, ya know the ones with Slash, and John Mayer? MY guitarist tried it out and apparently it wasn't that bad.

11. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The Bongo is just the best damn bass on the planet, period. No matter how it looks. It sounds and plays great. It's the most versatile bass available, hands down.

12. why not?
    its a great playing bass, as dean t said

13. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I prefer vintage basses and I love Bongos. Every one I've ever tried has a sweet neck and power to burn.

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

A Bongo is the loudest bass I have ever played thanks to the 18v (2 9v batteries!) preamp.

Very versatile. The versatility seems to be what people like the most. Very well balanced and ergonomic too.

I wish I still had my Bongo 5 HH.

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I have a Stealth 4HH. The first time I played it on the strap I realized why the body is contoured/shaped the way it is. It's extremely comfortable.

16. Many preamps utilize 18 volts. It's nothing special/new at all. Also, the extra voltage does very little for actual output. It's primarily for greater headroom. The OBP-3 can be run as high as 27 volts (all for headroom). Big difference between headroom and output.

17. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Face it, toilet-seaters: the Bongo is a beautiful, stylish, ergonomic design that will become classic in time.

18. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I don't own one but do like them, having played quite a few at my local GC. I think they look great when someone is playing one as opposed to just looking at one hanging on the wall.

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'm going to put a Kohler on my Bongo.

20. Some BMW's look better than others.

messer.