1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The book that I've gained the most from - as a guitarist switching to bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Daniel Page, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Daniel Page

Daniel Page

May 25, 2015
    Is Anthony Vitti's "Hip Hop Bass Grooves." I believe this is one of the lower-selling of his books, but is one of his favorites. I can see why.

Each groove includes a notated 2 measure drum beat to accompany it. So every day, I'll program in that drum beat to a new track in my DAW, to join all the previous beats. I'll solo that track and adjust the tempo to the recommended marking. I'll vary the degree of swing from beat to beat, and also sometimes hit the humanize button to make the timing looser.

And I'll play along to the groove for around 10 minutes. Sometimes more. Lately I jam for around 20 minutes on a groove - as I've internalized the grooves I can improvise much more freely with them. I'll transform the groove, take a solo, make up another groove, go back to the first.

I think one of the hardest things to get, as a guitarist, is the different place relative to the drums, that you should play bass. Some of the least helpful advice I got was to "lock into the kick drum pattern". The grooves in these pages are teaching me that it is more about "being aware of, and creating something new with, the kick drum pattern". I particularly notice that he'll write grooves that anticipate a syncopation in the drum beat, so that the bass initiates the rhythmic energy, and the drums continue it (or vice versa).

One of the things that I took seriously moving to bass was the idea of less notes, and playing in perfect time. Working through these pages has helped me stop thinking of those things as things that limit what I can do on bass. Playing bass had been so nerve-wracking an experience, I was constantly worried about making mistakes, playing too much, constantly aware of how bad it would sound if I played a sour or rushed note. I care less now about how many or how few notes I play. Now i'm starting to just play.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Too bad it's only offered for the hip hop genre, not so much into that, sounds like a good approach though.

3. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

It's just all sampled R&B.

;) :D

(I don't actually know, just making a joke.)

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021