Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The "BOOM BOOM BOOM" Room

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Apr 30, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

This past weekend, my band was playing with several others in a large room. Using stage volume and going through the PA, all of the bassists' sounds lacked detail and articulation.....forget about your D and G strings coming through. It just seemed to sound like "BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!" from the audience area. The board seemed to be set up as well as as possible.

What was a crying shame is that one bassist who owns some really tricky licks and is definitely better than I, was using a high-powered Henry 8x8 and still sounded like, "BOOM" in the audience. :rolleyes: Another bassist with a vintage Jazz bass producing a great "woody sound" if you heard him up close, still sounded like, (you guessed it), BOOM!!! most of the time.

This may be all the Limp Bizkits of the world crave. But we were playing SRV-type blues rock.

I'm pretty sure the house sound system was installed mainly with the DJ spinning records through subwoofers in mind. IME, this setup isn't uncommon these days.

- Do any of you encounter the same situation???
    - What do you do when it happens - grin and bear it or do you have some way to compensate???

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Rick-
    I used to lose sleep over s*** like that; nowadaze, IF I can manage to get a decent tone happenin' outta my on-stage rig...I'm happy(mostly, I'm playing outdoors & on big stages; I definitely prefer small to mid-sized clubs. Needless to say, I'm not that 'happy' very often. And the less I know & hear about the bass' tone out front...the better!). ;)

BTW, I do recall one room back when I played '80s Top-40...it was my "Ab" @the 4th fret/"E"-string that caused the entire room to "resonate"(?).
    I wore 'em out on Hall & Oates' "Man Eater". ;)

3. rickbass

Maybe they dug it, Jim.

I don't even want to know how it sounded when we did R. Palmer's "Bang a Gong." :rolleyes:

4. There's a new club in my area that is a lot like what you described. It's a converted old movie theater, and it's pretty big (the fire code max is about 1200 people). My band hasn't played there, but my brother's band did a short while back, as well as another friend's band. In between bands/sets, they have a DJ playing disco/dance stuff, and he's apparently a real jackass about letting the bands touch the soundboard in any way. He keeps it set the way he likes it, which doesn't work at all for the live bands. Bands are not even allowed to bring their own soundman. Another benefit is the powered monitors that no one really knows how to work, and you get feedback in your face all night long. My brother's band (classic rock covers) sounded horrible down there. I didn't see my friend's band, but he said it was not a pleasant experience.

5. rickbass

It seems like an old movie theatre would have good acoustics, Dan, even though that's a good size room you describe. But, ya never know unless one has played it.

FWIW- It gets worse!!! :eek: ..............in a couple weeks, we're doing the Abbey Road boogie - the gig is in the middle of downtown on a roof top :rolleyes:

6. Yeah, it's not the room that's the problem, it's just the doofus running the board. It'd be a great place if they ran the sound right.

Good luck with the roof gig. That actually sounds like a lot of fun.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Maybe its the Dj's Equalizer.

See if he could at least switch on a bypass switch or something. Chances are he has his set for that crazy sub sound.

Peace
    Nick