Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

[The Boss Challenge]

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Luciano_Bass, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Luciano_Bass

Luciano_Bass Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    Glasgow
    Hey all,

I need some advice, im looking to get a new pedal, both the :

BOSS - GT 6B
    and
    BOSS - ME 50B

Are very tempting, but I need some advice does anyone own either, or tried them both?

Currently, I'm very tempted by the ME 50 B, as I have my own amp settings, suitable, and don't need to amp setups, that the GT 6B. Plus the ME 50B is a lot cheaper.

Help me if you can, I'd appreciate it.

Luciano

2. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I sold my GT-6B two weeks ago and went back to the old ME-8B (the plastic yellow&black one). The GT-6B has some nice features but if we talk about effects (what these devices are designed for) the ME-8B kicks its ass. *****y sounding filters and only usable overdrives and compressors are exactly the ones that came in the old ME-8B. So, ABSOLUTELY NO GAIN! Got very dissapointed. I changed to the aforementioned ME-8B + rack compressor + rack parametric 5-band EQ as my preamp (I'll add a SansAmp RBI when I can afford it and that's it!). Good luck!

ANDRUCA

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, I've tried both. I much prefer the ME-50B. I don't need the amp modelling, and I find the settings much more intuitive on the ME-50B.
    Also, the ME-50B is smaller and lighter. And it has, IMO, much more usable distortion / overdrive sounds. It has less different effects than the GT-6B, but the ones it has are generally very usable (with exception of synth sounds, which Boss seem to make a habit of messing up).

There's been quite a lot of comparison discussion, you can find more information in the archives by searching in this forum.

4. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I own and love a ME-50b. Everything Dave Wilson said is correct so I would reiterate. I would challenge you to think about your objectives before contemplating which effects to buy. Otherwise, you 'ohhh' and 'ahhh' over useless bells and whistles. I'm not dissing BOSS. If you pay for features you don't use, they're useless!

For me the ME50b was a chance to stop carrying around a rack load 'o gear. My mandatory requirements (and the contents of my rack) were a compressor, chorus/flanger delay, and a tuner. (I also have EQs more later)

As I already had these rack toys, the big feature for me was being able to program my settings and call them up with the push of a footswitch.

The added bonus of the ME50b for me are;
    - noise suppressor: it runs quieter than my previous effect set up
    - volume pedal: very useful
    - distortion: the effect in this is excellent. I love the setting where the higher frequencies are distorted and the lower frequencies are not.
    - synth: while the synth is not great, I do find moderate use of it to be useful.

While the ME50b tone controls have a variable mid frequency, it is not a full-blown parametric EQ, an effect I love. For this reason, I still have a pair of parametric EQs in my rack.

5. Luciano_Bass

Luciano_Bass Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    Glasgow
    I think I probaby will go for the ME-50B, but maybe I've not researched enough effects, do you have any other suggestions, I definitely want a multi-effects processor pedal, as I don't want to build a rack yet due to lack of $$.

Thanks

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Have you thought about just getting single stompboxes?

Failing that, theres the Line6 bass pod (but youd need a floorboard for any kind of live use) and the Roland unit, though its name escapes me. :confused:

Jack.

7. Luciano_Bass

Luciano_Bass Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    Glasgow
    I checked out the Line 6, and it sounded amazing, the Roalnd/Boss V-Bass is also amazing, but..... there is an issue for me currently it is called £££.

Anyway I've now bought the Me 50B, and it's sounding **** hot, very easy to come to grips with.

Some of the synth sounds on it are amazing, I'm sturggling to get full potential out of them. Anyone out there able to use the synths a lot and... well? Let me know...

Cheers

8. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    :) Didn't want to start a new thread...

Went to GC and picked up this unit. My first impressions:

1. VERY LITTLE COLORING OF BASS SOUND.
    This is by far the biggest issue I have with Multi Effects units. Every time I get one to try out, I like some of the effects, hate the amp modeling, and despise the "bypass mode" because of the immense tone suckage. As far as I can tell - the ME-50B is comparable to what I get through my normal single effects pedal board, which is very quiet and lets my tone get to the amp.

2. Pretty good distortions... best I've heard in a multi effect. I will actually be able to use these.

3. Good "Tone Bank" the fiter/tone section has some good eq curves you can throw in if you want to color your sound for a interlude or bridge, etc. The octave down effect is pretty similar (if not identical) to the Boss OC-2 unit, which I really enjoy. The Twah filters won't get any use from me, though. Neither will the octave up effect.

4. Great delay/modulation section!! Here's where the ME-50b really shines in my book. The flanger, phaser, chorus, and delay settings are all very usable, with a wide range of sound tweakability. The best part - they all have the option of tap tempo. I love to tempo control my mod effects, so this is a big deal for me. Also a very tweakable reverb is included.

5. The wah /expression pedal is good for a volume pedal, and has a "so-so" wah effect. can also be used for octave up/down whammy.

6. The compressions are usable, with the "Natural" setting being my favorite. I leave the Master tone section set flat, but if needs be, there is a good EQ for those who more control than their amp gives.

7. The synths suck.

8. The tuner tunes.

9. Noise supressor suppresses... you guessed it, noise.

10. Programming is easy, although I wish their was a "stompbox mode" for each patch.

11. Price is about $300 new - but that's a lot better than the GT-6b or the BNX-3.

All in all, this unit is pretty darn good. If you have a decent setup already, and are just looking to add some effects or simplify to one FX box - get it.

I'll be keeping mine. :hyper: :D

9. Luciano_Bass

Luciano_Bass Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    Glasgow
    I hear what you're saying with the synths, and at first I did struggle to get a great sound with the synth.

Plus, I play 6-String which presents a problem in erms of the amount of magnetism that is floating around the pickups, but if you really experiment with the synths I'm sure you'll find something.

I'm getting quite comfortable with the Square Wave setting, good luck!