Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Bourne Supremacy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Has anyone seen it yet? I haven't, but I liked part 1 (even with all its flaws) and plan on seeing it sometime soon, hopefully tomorrow.

Reviews?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I wasn't impressed with the first one but I'll probably end up renting this one.

brad cook

3. meh, I liked Dogma better :D :D :D

4. I think Strike Back is way better :p

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I saw it, but preferred "Bourne Identity." "Bourne Supremacy" is OK, but not as good as movie critic Roeper would have you believe.

My biggest problem with the film is that the photography is extremely choppy. I guess that is the editing, actually. The camera seems handheld, so there are lots of odd angles. Sometimes I felt almost dizzy.

The worst part is the car chase which is very, very choppy. Each little scene just flashes by, quickly followed by the next scene. It actually gave me a headache. I began to wish the car chase were over, so my eyes could rest.

There is no reason why the editing had to be so choppy, except to give an idea that folks in the stealth and spy industry have to make split decisions based on nano-seconds of conflicting and confusing information. So we learn they live by their instincts. I learned I am not suited to such work.

6. I saw it. I didn't see the first one.

I have to agree during the car chase the scenes were very choppy. Some of the camera angles were messed up. I didn't see the first one so I didn't really understand the movie. But eventhough I didn't know what was going on, I liked it just because of pure stuff happening all the time. If I understood it I think it would have been a lot better.

John

7. maybe not, the first wasnt that great. :meh:

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I will see it, but it will probably suck. The first one was passable.

At least it's free.

9. yeah, the car chase was pretty choppy.

my only problem was that every time i heard the guy mention Conklin, i had my minds in other places, and i was thinking of the slap line i would play if i ever tried a groove tools 4 string.

Bow wakka bow bow wickaaaaa badow wakka bow bow bowwwwww!

Charlie

10. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Just came back from it. I enjoyed it about as much as I did the first one. They seemed to leave it pretty open ended too, which was cool.

My one complaint was the editing. Like everyone else said, it made it kind of hard to follow. There were a couple of action scenes that almost gave me a headache.

All around cool movie. My mustache recommends it.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Curses! I knew that Roeper was a damned liar!

brad cook

12. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    i really liked the editing. i really did. The car chase was awesome. The sheer number of crashes and how he reverses 'getting into crashes' is sweet. The editing, i thought, was perfect for that scene.

but, to each his/her own.

slick

13. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    I liked it. I'd watch it again. I love good espionage, double-agent crime films. For some reason, though, I can't really get into the show, "Alias". My gf loves it, but I just don't know. Maybe because it seems so fantasy-like, and I get distracted by Garner. Anyways, I digress.

Yeah, if you even remotely liked the first one, go and see the new one. It's pretty good. I also find Matt Damon a convincing lead for this type of rold. Ben Affleck couldn't pull it off. Too goofy and annoying.

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i agree, i think it was a case of film style overpowering substance, the whole blurry/choppy routine. still, decent movie, although definitely not a 2fer. although i read all the bourne books, i can't remember much, but what i do remember, doesn't seem like the movie followed them that much.

15. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    saw this today and thought it was great. i had no problem with the editing which, i think, adds to the idea that Bourne's thoughts are just as choppy and scrambled. we're already looking forward to the next one.

16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The numbers are in and "Bourne Supremacy" beat out "Cat Woman" by a large amount. It is said to have earned $53.5 million, making it Matt Damon's best ever debut. The movie is the fifth best ever for a movie debuting in July.

I think Damon is excellent in the role. He is far better suited to that role than Ben Affleck whom I just cannot take seriously anymore. One thing I kept doing during this movie, though, is recalling how dramatically different Matt Damon looked and acted in "The Talented Mr. Ripley", a fascinating movie in which Damon plays a nerdy, clumsy, high society wannabe finally ending in his having to kill several people to keep up his pretenses. I pitied him and hated him at the same time. Damon is a really good actor.

17. I agree with the comments about the editing. Too choppy, like an MTV music video except worst. I didn't see the first one and I felt really left out watching this movie - I guess I missed out on a lot of context because they were bringing back characters from the first movie. All in all, I would have to say it was a mediocre movie, nothing to write home about.

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The books 9"The Bourne Identity" and "The Bourne Supremacy" are much better than the films could ever be.

Another fine Robert Ludlum book (my favorite) is: "The Gemini Contenders".

19. P. Aaron,

I'm lovin' your TB icon!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

20. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California

hehe......that makes two of us.