Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cambass, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Hi, I feel stupid asking this question but I'm going to attempt to make my own bass (with help from my next door neighbour).

My question is, which part, exactly, is the bridge? I have seen a few diagrams and each point it out at a different spot. Some say it is behind the saddle or around there. Others say that it is near the pickups.

I know what your thinking "He's going to make a guitar but doesn't know where the bridge is!!" This is vital because I need to be able the measure the scale (I want to make it 34"). Apparently you measure this between the bridge and the nut. Any help would be great, thanks.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Your strings are held in place by two things: The tuners on the headstock (if you have one) on one sde and the bridge, which holds the strings in place at the other. In short (well, not really), it's the part of your bass's body that is not a pickup, an output jack or a control knob.

Will C.:cool:

3. the scale will depend be the general distance from the nut and the bridge saddles, give or take a couple mm (intonation)

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    www.warmoth.com

check out the "hardware" section, and check under "bass bridges". they have good prices and diagrams for bridges, and pictures, so you'll know what you're looking for.

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    It seems to me that your question has more to do with how scale length is measured than the actual construction of the bridge. The bridge is the whole assembly of base, saddles, and adjusting screws. If I were building a bridge from scratch, and I wanted a 34" scale, I would find a bass with a nominal 34" scale, like maybe a Fender Precision, and measure 34" from the nut. My guess, without looking, is that you'll end up about halfway down the bridge plate, i.e. where the bridge saddles would be if you adjusted them to their middle position. Does this answer your question?

Also, read a good book on guitar construction, and you will probably find the answers to all your scale length questions.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, just a tip, the 12th fret should be EXACTLY half way between the bridge and the nut, so that's a good place to measure from.

Of course, you can adjust the bridge, so you have a SMALL margin of error.

Mmm... margin of error...