1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(the British) John Edwards

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by ablumley, Jul 31, 2007.

1. ablumley

ablumley

Jul 25, 2006
    Amsterdam
    A very inspiring player. I recently (re)discovered his playing via "Optic," a duo record with John Butcher. I first heard him unknowingly when I was a teenager in the grindcore band God. I really love the combination of rough acoustic rattles and buzzes mixed with a heavy funk sensibility in his sound. I've also checked out the "Welsh Chapel" record with Frode Gjerstad and Mark Sanders, "A Glancing Blow" with Evan Parker and Chris Corsano. Any other albums with him that I should hear? Anyone have any insight into his approach to the instrument?

2. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    I really love his work in trio with veryan Weston and Mark Sanders, there are 2 albums on Emanem, 'mercury concert' and 'gateway to vienna'. If forced to choose, I'd go for mercury concert.
    He was very encouraging and friendly to me, when my first gig on the double bass was opening for him (and sunny murray, a baptism of fire!).
    In terms of insight to his style, having watched him several times in small venues, I would say he hasn't chosen to aquire a conventional technique at all, he really has invented his own way of playing.

3. ablumley

ablumley

Jul 25, 2006
    Amsterdam
    I'll look out for the albums with Sanders and Weston. I'm curious to hear the "Nisus Duets" record (Edwards and Sanders). What's your take on this one, Oliebrice?
    My first gig on the double bass was at a house party full of drunken noise music fanatics (solo! I still don't know what I was thinking) but that seems way less intense than getting up for the first time to play in front of Murray and Edwards (was Tony Bevan on the gig too?). Heavy company. Having seen Edwards play in person, does he sometimes use elbows/feet/knees to hit the bass while his hands and arms are engaged playing the strings? I was listening to "Optic" again tonight and it's the only way that I can guess that he is able to produce some of those high bowed notes and percussive smacks simultaneously.

4. He stayed with me for a week once. He is really great guy and an inspiring player. I hurt back trying to keep up with when we played together. He is self taught but he found a way to play that is very facile and open. On "Optic" for example he plays with a lot of precision.
    "Nisus duets" is a great cd I was planning on pulling it out soon before this thread popped up. A great early recording of his that really holds up is "London Airlift" with Evan Parker, John Russel and Mark Sanders. "Two Seasons" is a great double cd of a the same grouping without Russel.
    The Weston Releases are also really good music.

5. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    yep. heavy indeed.
    I've not heard the Nisus duets, although its on the list, I must get a copy.

6. Anybody seen this clip?

Never seen John Edwards live, but I have heard that he's got a huge acoustic sound. Looking at the clip I believe that.

I knew he was in a few noise projects but not God ... how cool is that?

7. Great clip! I split a bill with him next Sat. His sound is really huge.

8. jazzbasser535

jazzbasser535

Feb 25, 2006
    Damn!! I almost lost it when he broke his d string!

9. Paul Dwyer

Paul Dwyer

Jul 31, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    I hung out and studied with John a few years ago. He said that happened quite often and he changed strings (Spirocore starks) about once a month.
    He definitely has a unique, yet solid way of playing.

10. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Not to mention expensive!

11. Bowing octaves and sevenths is always the first order of business when that happens!

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Interesting stuff - he is playing with a trio, week after next at Brighton Jazz club - and this thread was a good way of finding out about his style! ;)

I shall definitely go along!

13. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    I've known John for years (since he played electric bass in Goat).

He's an incredible player stuffed to the hilt with spectacular special effects and techniques all of his own. Amazing musician.

14. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    This is a good vid of John's solo spot: