The Brown Album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ThePaste, Apr 29, 2001.

1. Man, anyone who likes Primus, get the Brown album if you want to hear the DARKEST songs they have! OMG these songs just make me feel so tingly! I think I even like Brown Album more than Frizzle Fry! Whoa jeez sugar rush!!!
  2. Well another thing, who here HAS Brown Album?
  3. My friend has a copy, and I've heard it, but I don't remember it. I have fisticuffs on mp3 though. I may get it sometime.
  4. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    it was my second primus cd. my first is sailing the seas of cheese. i think sailing in there best cd, that or anti - pop.
  5. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    As a devoted fan, I'm working on owning every Primus CD available, and yes, I own the Brown Album. That is a dark album, I especially like "Over the Falls" and "Camelback Cinema". It's weird, the album sounds like no other, complete change in tone and everything. My only major complaint... NO HERB! :( Herb kicked ass, Brain is decent, but herb was the MAN!
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The Brown Album was easily their worst recording. Les really does need an engineer. It really honestly was mixed pretty crappily.
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    I own ALL Primus Albums (except Miscelaneous Debris)

and YES... the Brown Album is not one of their best moments... it has some catchy songs on it but some are really horrible...

Top 3 Primus albums? easy

1.-Frizzle Fry
    2.-Sailing the Seas of Cheese
    3.-Pork Soda
  8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    that was the mayor flaw... Brain IS good but as Angus said Les really needed an engineer... the drums in some of the songs sound really bad and in other good...

i don´t think we are going to hear from primus in a long time... Les is still with the Frog Brigade and other bands... Ler is missing... Herb is in the Attention deficit band with Michael Manring but he is in plans to meet Les to make an album...
  9. I DO own ALL of primuses albums(yes even miscellaneous). The brown album isnt bad but when compared to albums such as cheese, suck on this and pork soda, it seems very cheaply made

Good news all primus fans. The return of herb is at hand. Brain left primus to join guns and roses(why would you do that?)So les claypool has asked herb to come back
    Read up on it at
  10. Hey, has anyone heard anything more about Oysterhead? I heard that Trey Anastasio from Phish, Stewart Copeland from the Police, and Les Claypool had a few concerts together. I think that would be a really cool "super group" to see live, considering that all of them are super talented.
  11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dave, Herb is a much better drummer than Brain. His style fit Les's absolutely perfectly, especially in that style of music. Brain is much more a rocker. You could tell he really wanted to play more faster meat and potato stuff. I'd say Herb is far superior, in this context.

Besides, Brain never used a double bass drum pedal! :D
  12. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Drummers who don't use double-bass really suck.
  13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep check out-
    You can freely download a lot of songs. Have fun!
  14. Man, you guys are so lucky, I only have Sailing, Pork, Frizzle, and Brown. Oh well, some like it some don't, "it's justa matter of opinion".
  15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's Tom Waits' favorite Primus album. He actually really liked the bizarre drum recordings. I like it too, though Seas of Cheese is always going to be my favorite.
  16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA

Its a joke Neils. See the smiley?
  17. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    That's why I also used a smiley, in case that it was a joke. I'm now using a smiley just in case you're thinking that I was joking about only joking in my previous post.
    Sorry, but I'm not a native English-speaker, and assembling personalities from any language, taken from a computerscreen out of bits of text is a huge effort which we fail to give ourselves credit for.

By the way, on the last Primus album featuring Brain, his use of his hihat sounds very exotic and spicey, not meat and potatoes at all.
    I may have heard some double bass hints on that album, but I'm not terribly sure. But he didn't use it on the Brown Album though.
  18. Well.. did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps that is how they wanted the album to sound? From every interview I've read it seems like a dirty muddy sound is exactly what they were going for, and they got it.

Of all the albums I own.. Brown is just about the only one I can always go to.
  19. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I like the brown album. It´s not my favourite, but still pretty darn good:)
  20. Brown Album: Great tunes, horrible production. It was engineered that way on purpose. Why I don't know. Les must have had some crazy weed then or something. Someone should have overridden him on that. Brain and Les were a bit mismatched. Les always sounded like he was ahead of the beat (or Brain was behind). But him and Herb always sounded locked together. Cheese is by far my favorite Primus record.