Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The brown truck stopped by...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, Dec 6, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

...and dropped off my new SX BG80!:)

I don't have pictures yet, but here are my first impressions.

Fit & finish is excellent for a bass in this price range, and frankly for a bass under $300 period.

The finish on the body is drip and run free, and looks very nice. The 3 tone 'burst is faithful to the Fender original.

Looks as if the bass is made of 3 pieces of alder, but you can't tell it's more than one piece from more than a few inches away. They all have the same basic coloration and grain orientation.

The neck is nice and straight, and has a matte finish. Feels very fast. The fretwork is a little above average in this price range, but there are a few sharp ends which need filing down.

The tone? I was surprised. It sounds like a P bass. Not weak at all, as is typical with a lot of entry level basses. Even with the light gauge strings that came stock(too light for me!) it has a lot of depth and booty to the tone.

There is a little bit of fret buzz, but I am sure that medium strings and a slight neck adjustment will take care of that. And no deadspots! At least none that I can find.

How much do I like it? For $122(including shipping) it can't be beat, IMHO!. I like it so much that I am taking it as a backup on my gig tonight, and plan on using it on 2 sets.

I'll give a more detailed review after I have played it for a few days.:)

2. TELEBOY

TELEBOY

Nov 21, 2002
    LONGISLAND,N.Y.
    I am glad you posted your coments on your bass. i am releived to hear it is nice because rondo just shiped my SJB 62 FRETTLESS yesterday. i was a little nervous about buying a bass without playing it first but your review makes me feel a little better . i wont have to worry about the shapness of the frets since mine is fretless. i figured for 139.00 plus shipping what the heck.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Embellisher, it looks like we both got our Essex basses today. Mine was a blue SJB-62, and I ordered one of those Valencia $40 acoustics as well. My UPS woman was smiling brightly as she placed the box in front of me-with the headstock pointed down :eek: I agree that everything was well above average for a bass in this range, and I plan on using mine on a regular playing basis right up there with my GT-BD7. I'd forgotten how much fun playing a fretted four was, as I haven't played one in about four years. Kudos to Ron!

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Cool. I'd like to get a P Bass also & I might go with an Essex also. :)

5. same here. make with the pics!

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

For the price, I don't think a guy can go wrong. I too would like to have a P bass, and if they are that cheap, I might just go ahead and order one in the next day or two. I have wasted $125 on a lot worse things, believe me.;)

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, I played it on 2 sets at the gig last night. Genuine P bass tone, although I will probably eventually get a 60's CS replacement pickup.

I can't wait to put some decent strings on it. It came with .040's(or maybe even lighter) and the tone on the G is a bit thin.

Sounded pretty good, fingerstyle, or with a pick.

The neck profile is a bit fatter than I like, kind of like a P Bass or a Lakland. Believe it or not, my hand cramped worse playing this than my Cirrus 6 string!

This bass was bought as a project, to replace a P bass that I had years ago. It will eventually have a red tortoise guard and ashtrays.

So, if I replace the pickup, get ashtrays, and replace the pickguard, I will have a P Bass with the serious 60's vibe for under $350!

8. rondo music sells a replacement black pickguard, so i fired up photoshop to see what my desired bass would look like:
    [​IMG]
    now that is SWEET.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I just ordered a fretless P . Luckily I have an old Badass bridge and a set of EMG's sitting around waiting for a home. I knew i kept them for a reason. For $99 can you go wrong ?

I did read on harmony central that someone had to drill the string hole in the back of the bridge to accomodate wrapped flatwounds ; the new "E" string wouldn't go thru....FWIW.:)

Don

p.s. sunburst, just like my '74...(before i refinished it black)

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Zack, my '74 P fretless looked just like your dream bass except that my board was rosewood...

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Put black hardware on it & that's what's I'd like!!!!!

12. Nino - I've watched with interest the arrival of your parts creations - all top notch - from design and component selection to fit and finish. You do a good job!

But if you like DHC's vision, you are gonna love what I'm putting together. The body and rosewood neck are joined but no pup routing or hardware is on it yet. It sorta goes like this:

- Black Alder J body with matching headstock
    - New Essex neck - choice between maple or rosewood - installed with steel inserts
    - Seymour Duncan Basslines Active EQ P-J set
    - Custom black pickguard - best design for a P-J you've ever seen
    - Black Custom Shop Slimtail bridge - through body
    - Black Gotoh GB11 tuners - small base, traditional ears, adjustable lash
    - Black Schaller straplocks

13. Got mine as well. My sentiments exactly. It's really as good, if not better than my Hotrodded Jazz Bass. I love it. It actually has a hotter output than the Jazz. Very, very fun to play on, just needs new strings and a bit lowered action from when you recieve it. EXCELLENT bass.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, forgot to mention the strings. My fingers were black after the first time I played it :D

15. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    ok mingus, why are we nuts ?

16. oh, someone saw that post eh? No digs but...UNLESS YOU GET A KICK OUT OF MODDING (my guess, it does sound fun) just spend all that loot on a real Jazz. If your SX sounds better than your 'hotrod Jazz', ( I'm gonna catch grief for this) thats not much of a 'hot rod' innit?
    **(edit) start the grief train**
    But...I played a squireJazz with a BA 2 bridge for the first four years (until yesterday) on about 500 gigs and loved it most of the time.

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    well see mingus, now that most of us have a couple of $4000.00 or $5000.00 basses it's nice to buy a $99 cheapie to play. You know, "keepin' it real..."";) :p

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You don't necessarily have to mod anything on them though. I may change the bridge, but that's all I'm thinking of at the moment. A member here named Woodchuck kept his all original, and has used it to record part of his album he and his band are currently working on, who are currently signed to a major label.

19. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    That would be Virgin Records, right?