Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Bruford Tapes

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Mar 13, 2004.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've had this record around for ages. I've always enjoyed it, and the Bass Playing's KILLER! Anybody else heard this?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    yup. ive got this on vinyl and cd. imo, this is jeff berlin's best work. his tone, while still thin, at least gains body by the grittiness(is that a word :D ). he also doesnt sound so sterile. also, holdsworth jr. plays a pretty mean guitar also.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Never heard that particular disk. It's a compilation, right? I have the "Road Games" EP, and IMO it contains some of Jeff's best playing ever. Jack Bruce is on it too (just singing though).

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    nope, not a comp. its live recorded at a club called my fathers place. road games is great thought too. i need to pick that one up on cd. hopefully its not already out of print.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have it somewhere, along with a bunch of other stuff Jeff is on. I even have David Sancious' lp with Jeff and David on bass..

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    which one and is it any good? i only have forrest of feelings and trasformation.

7. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    He plays on "Just as I Thought". I have that on vinyl so it's been many years since I've heard it but I remember him stepping out a little bit. I have him on an even older album with Ray Barretto where he plays more as a bass player and not a soloist but he's already quite recognizable.

Narud narud, I like your mp3's :) do you ever play in the bay area?

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

One of the other things that is so delightful about the record is Bruford's "matter of fact" way of introducing and commenting on the songs being played. Plus his drumming, he always has that tone.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's the one. Doesn't really fit any categories that I can think of.

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    id like to but to be honest i have a hard enough time getting people to come out to my gigs in my hometown :( ;)