The Budget Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klharper, Feb 7, 2006.

1. klharper

Oct 16, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    So I'm in the market for a new bass, preferably jazz-style. Looking to spend $400-750 US max (I'm a violinst as well and about to get a beastly new Genz Benz acoustic amp that will set me back a bit, and even 750 total will be a little stretch).

Things I'm looking for -
    -Reliability (the obvious ones)
    -Active/passive switch
    -21+ frets (more never hurts, can be better)
    -Good color combos/woods/looks
    -Any possible other possible unique, positive features
    -Room for possible future upgrades - upgradability (example: standard jazz bass control plate being a plus for this)

Currently the TBC JT-400JJ is leading the pack (as soon as they release a batch with active/passive switches) for its low price, plus 22 fret neck, chambered body, etc, but I don't know much about their electronics/pickups.
    However, I just found out about the KSD jazz models, which look really nice as well and certainly have a reputable name connected to them, but did read something about iffy electronics - give me everything you can about these! ;)

I've been considering Japanese jazzes as well, Ateiler Z looking real nice - but also Fender Japan (and Geddy's possibly, but I'm not sure it'd be for me, plus I kind of hate black bodies, and not too partial to solid color bodies either). However shipping is obviously an issue for these, and want to keep it as close to or as far under 750 as possible, after shipping AND a case.

Throw out your suggestions or as much info as you can on these basses. I know the Lakland jazzes will be mentioned a bit, but as much as they seem great, reality is that its gonna have to take one HECK of a deal for me to swing something of that pricerange. So as hard as GAS and other longings may be, I have to stay realistic ;) :meh: