The burly beast nears completion...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Rader, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Looks like my DP Custom 6 string is almost done. There's still several things yet to do, but we're getting close.

The top is buckeye burl, the body is mahagony and the back is claro walnut. The fretboard is birdseye. The neck is walnut/maple. Thought I would share a few shots.

You'll either love it or hate it! I'm happy with the way it's turning out. Dave has been a gem to work with and this has been quite a challenging project. I appreciate the opportunity to have someone build pretty much exactly what I wanted (good or bad!)

The pics aren't the greatest, but you'll get the idea. More pics are located in the photoalbum in my sig below.

You feedback is welcomed...

2. Are there any advantages to that tuning key lay out? Looks, unusual... ;)
  3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Tighter B-string is my thought.

Looks good!
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Looking quite tasty there, Jeff!
    The upper horn turned out nice.
    Do I detect some Roscoe overtones?
    Very interesting headstock. Can't wait till you get it!
    I can imagine how you feel...
  5. 2 Advantages:

1. I like it.

2. It may make the B and E strings tighter. May not, we'll see.

6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    The burl rocks! I'm not too keen on the body shape though. But who am I to complain, it's not my bass! :D
  7. Dude, that thing looks sweet. The headstock is kinda funky, though. Are those five different switches I see? What do they all do?
  8. The upper horn turned out better than I had expected - which tells you how much I don't know about what's possible!

Roscoe? Humm... maybe!
  9. Yeah... kinda going extreme. I was going for the "Swiss Army Knife" of tone! :D

I wanted something very different for the headstock.

Here's the switch layout:

Mid frequency selection switch
    Top pickup coil selection switch (P-Hb-reverseP)
    Bottom PU coil selction switch (Parallel Hb - lower coil - seriesHb)
    On-Off switch - I can switch off the bass while leaving the cord connected without draining the battery. (Don't know why that's not standard equipment!)

And, yes, you can see into the knots. There's clear epoxy sanded flush with the body.
  10. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Hmmm. One word. "GIMEEE"

That looks incredible Jeff !
  11. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    AWESOME 3-D effect with the knots. I love it! Too cool. Who'd a'thunk it? Awesome JR signature model.
  12. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Jeff i gotta hand it to ya, the idea was creative, and it defenilty paid off. the headstock is interesting, cool nonetheless. dig the body shape, LOVE the hidden neck through (which is odd cuz usually i like to see the stripes). most of all that burl top is sweet. it almost looks like its made of stone. the visible knots look very cool, its difficult to even see the epoxy filler! all in all a beautiful and very interesting instrument. congrats! (i wanna hear some sound clips...)

13. lil_bass_boy

lil_bass_boy Banned

Oct 25, 2001
    Maryland, USA
    Hey Jeff,

Good job! It looks very cool. It was cool seeing the process on your photo website. I like the top too, very unique.

Once again, good job!

14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hot damn! I like it!
  15. nice,, theres a big push by owners wanting something different as a top cap, the burl does it.

i've been following your progress all along and it's nice. the Extended post should work out just fine ;)

16. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
  17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  18. When did you pay him your down payment?
    I'm just wondering how long it'll take before i get some pictures
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Love that buckeye burl!
  20. Thanks for the comments. I understand that the Buckeye is very difficult to work with. The piece I had was very dry. I was surprised how light it was compared to it's size. It soaked up sealer like crazy. I'm sure Dave had fits with it (he told me of many...). But, the end result is looking very good.

Can't wait to get it.