1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The burp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chasfur, May 18, 2011.

1. chasfur

chasfur

Feb 14, 2009
    Elkhart , Indiana
    Ok I'm a noob but I got a question for my fellow TBrs. How do you get that burpy jazz sound? I even se peeps getting it on ibanez basses. Also that classic geddy lee sound? Sans amp RBI? Any pointers are helpful folk much appreciciated

2. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Solo the bridge pickup and play close to it or over it. The burp, for me, comes when I dig in near the bridge.

3. EADGCoffee

EADGCoffee

Apr 18, 2011
    I agree with the bridge solo'd and playing over that pickup. You've got to be careful with the treble though... just enough and you get that burp, too much and you get a honky sound.

4. I favor the bridge, not solo it, and play right above it.

The Geddy sound? As in both pups wide open, with treble full on?

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    "That Geddy sound". Right. Which one?

6. Hifiguy

Hifiguy

Jul 9, 2008
    Correct, Buff. roll the neck pickup back to about 20%, play over or slightly infront of the bridge pickup, at least if we're talking about Jazzes. Dead bang on the Geddy tone, which is very similar to the tone Greg Lake - then a Jbass player - was using in the mid-70s.

7. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    You guys actually know what someone means when they describe a sound as "burpy"?

Not trying to cause trouble here, I'm just always having issues figuring out what someone means when they describe sounds in these terms. Burpy, wobbly, farty, milky, growly...how do I know that my definition of a "creamy" tone sounds the same as someone else's definition of a "creamy" tone?

8. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Umm, Geddy plays near the neck... am I missing something?

9. Chansey

Chansey

Nov 25, 2007
    I think the OP is looking at two sounds: the burpy tone (which can be achieved with a more bridge oriented right hand), and Geddy's tone, which as far as I can tell is achieved by digging in at the neck to get some of that fret "clank" to his notes (not 100% sure on this).

10. chasfur

chasfur

Feb 14, 2009
    Elkhart , Indiana
    Thanks guys this btw is what makes tb am awesome site peeps sharing things they know saving others practice time which is valuable

11. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    It's also worth mentioning that Geddy's main J has a slightly shorted bridge pickup, so an accurate Geddy sound (assuming you're referring to the sound he gets with his J) would involve backing off your bridge pickup some (I do ~30%) and digging in hard somewhere between the neck pickup and the end of the neck.