The buzz about tapewounds...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Claymore, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Are there any tapewound or coated strings in which the wrap is electrically conductive? I love Labella tapes and DR Black Beauties but there is an undeniable buzz unless I am making contact with the bridge. Does such a thing exist? If not, why? Surely those chaps at NASA can come up with something. There must be some kind of flexible coating that can keep the strings grounded when you are in contact with them. Any thoughts? (besides pointing out that I don't understand electricity) :D

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I could be wrong, but I think DR dragon skin's coating is conductive. Tapes, nope.

Claymore likes this.
  3. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    That is helpful. I haven't tried those yet. Appreciate the tip.

Gorn likes this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Wait till more people chime in before you spend any money though. I think most of DR's coated strings are non conductive but there's one variety that is. Someone more knowledgeable will know for sure.

Claymore likes this.
  5. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada
    If your instrument is well shielded or active, it will be very quiet with tapewounds.

e-flat likes this.
  6. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    I used Dragon Skins on my P bass that usually has tapes and they are indeed conductive.

Claymore likes this.
  7. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

As a tape fanatic/addict for decades, I have had Tapewounds cause hum or static or any some such issues.

8. Tapewounds/coated strings tend to highlight instruments with deficient shielding. You may not quieten the beast completely (it depends on the bass) but whenever I encountered this problem (a few times, as I love tapewounds) redoing the shielding in 'paranoid mode' always helped significantly.

e-flat likes this.
  9. tb-player

tb-player Sarcasm intended… always. Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Maryland
    I had a p-bass with LaBella tape wounds and had the exact same issue. I started playing with a wireless unit instead of a cord and the problem was completely solved, since the wireless broke the physical connection.

It was a great fix and allowed me to keep the strings I loved.

e-flat and Claymore like this.
  10. e-flat

e-flat

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    I bit the bullet and purchased a large roll of conductive shielding tape a while back. Over the course of a couple weeks, I shielded all of my Basses as time permitted. They are all dead silent now, and I can run tapes on any of them. Cheap and easy solution that will serve your signal well whether or not you’re running tapes.

mcnach and LetItGrowTone like this.