Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The buzz that keeps coming back...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Audiophage, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I've been hassling with this buzzing A string for a while on my bass. It seems to be specifically related to the truss rod. The only thing that I can do to get it to go away without adjustments to the truss rod are to keep my thumb on the back of the neck while I'm playing anything.

So anyways, I took it to a repair guy a while ago, and he was able to fix it. Then, once I started lessons again(back from college) It reappeared. My teacher told me to tighten the truss rod which I did and the buzzing ceased again. It came back again so I tightened the truss rod a bit. So far its fine but I don't want to be adjusting my neck this often.

Aside from getting a new neck what would be a less temporary solution to this?

2. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Just the open A string, and only when my thumb is not firmly held on the back of the neck. Its not because the nut isn't held down enough either, I've gone through that.

3. Put more windings around the A string's tuning peg so there's more break angle.

This is a common problem with Fender-style basses but it's easily fixed. :)

4. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I've already gone through that. The problem has nothing to do with the break angle on the nut.

5. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Thats the other strange thing about it, it did also buzz on the 7th fret of the D string, but not the 5th of the E. It hasn't happened in a while though.

I'm not sure about the nut slot, its an old bass so it may need a new nut. I don't really know though, I'm not sure how they're supposed to look.