Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

THE CAB PROBLEM FROM HELL!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thebassmuchacho, Oct 27, 2003.

1. I bought a 410 b series ampeg cab along with a ampeg svt3, both brand new, and 4 days later the cab blew. So i took it back, they fixed it, and when i got it back(4 weeks later) that night i was playing it and it was still broken or it broke again. So i took it back and they gave me a whole new cab(the 410 classic series), and i left feeling happy. A week later the cab is blown. Im thinking theres something wrong with the amp because im not blasting the cabs at loud volumes and im not clipping it like crazy, i hardly was clipping at all if any. Any advice anyone?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Is this happening using the same power source/outlet each time ???

3. well im a student at berklee and the power source is the outlets that they have in the practice rooms and jam rooms, so no im not exactly using the same power source, but the sources are in thesame area. But other bassists play their equipment there too and they have no problems.....i must be cursed.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

RATS! I was hoping we could take the "easy" way out.
    If you haven't already, I'd contact St. Louis Music and bitch.

5. i tried to find the info to contact them, but the only option i got online, or the only option i found, was a mailing adress, which would take probably a couple of weeks to get a reply. Do they have a phone number? i couldnt find it on the ampeg site.

6. How are you setting your EQ? Too much lows can blow cabs even if the amp isn't clipping. And are you slapping and popping hard? That can do it too. Either way, the cab could be dying from excessive speaker excursion, not from the amp clipping. Excessive excursion isn't the fault of the cab or the amp.

7. I have the bass turned up, but not that far up. Its at about 1 oclock, and i do slap but i dont do it excesively hard, i do it pretty light. But even though, i wouldnt think that these things blow an amp over time. The first and second time i didnt play loud and it blew once after 4 days, the second time one day, and when they gave me a new cab i played it semi loud(had a jam), but i didnt play it loud enough to distort or anything, and it blew after a week, and i only jammed with it once. And another thing i noticed is that the head used clip around 1 o clock, and now recently its been clipping around 10 oclock. That seemed wierd too.

8. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    yeah they have a 800 service number....I'll look it up and post.....

If you call up and ask a strange enough question, you might get connected to the engineer who made the product....

Your problem does NOT sound right....what "blew"? Did a speaker give up? Did it sound OK first?

Are you using it with an SVT-III or did you mean a SVT-3PRO?

9. The first time it happened was on a brand new 410, and the two bottom speakers blew. So i took it in and they replaced those two, and then that night one of the bottom speakers blew again. So then the music store gave me a whole new cab, and now one or two of the speakers are blown. I own the svt 3 pro. Thanks for looking for the number too, for some reason i couldnt find it.

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I found this number
    1-800-738-7563.
    Hope it helps

11. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Yep thats the number.

I looked, and the Ampeg site actually does have that number, the service managers email, the Ampeg product manager's number and email, etc.

It's under "contacts" but you have to scroll down a ways. The page looks like it only has the address on it, but the other stuff is below.

12. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    You might want to take your entire rig up to be tested, including the speaker cable your using. They can test the current flowing through the equipment. Also, ask what was found wrong with the other speakers, sometimes you can determine what is wrong by how it failed. Maybe they had a bad batch of speakers. Be sure your head to cabinet cable is wired properly (not out of phase).
    Sounds like your head is in trouble, take the whole thing in and get it tested.

13. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I'm not familiar with Ampeg heads so I'll ask this anyway. I there a switch on the back of the head to match speaked impedence. I.E. 4 or 8 ohms? If there is and it's not set properly could that screw things up?

14. I have a monster speaker cable connecting the two, so i dont think its that. And i dont think its a batch of bad speakers because ive gone through two brand new cabs and one that was fixed. I called a technician and he said its possible that my amp could be putting out constant DC instead of BC. Im not too sure what that means...can anyone tell me the difference?

15. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    Actually it's the treble that causes the speakers to blow most of the time. Especially if the amp is clipping for some reason or another.

16. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    I'm shure he meant AC not BC. AC = alternating current, DC = direct current. Alternating current in this context could be refered to as sound.
    DC on the other hand referes to the power supply fed to the power amplifier stage. The DC should not reach the speakers if the amp is working properly. Only AC should run through the speakers.

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My first thought was that the amp is sick and pumping direct current (DC) from the power supply into the speakers. The speaker's voice coils can't do anything with DC but heat up and burn out.

I'd have your amp looked at ASAP!!!!

18. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    I'll just chime in....

I play and svt3 too, and i was having similar problems(kind of anyway) ......

I 'thought' i had blown drivers on both of my cabs, like, it sounded EXACTLY like blown drivers.

Yesterday i took both of my cabs and my head into the shop. I tested the cabs out with a different head, and to my surprise, they sounded perrrfect! It seems asthough ive got an internal malfunction along with a few dicky tubes. The guy said that the 3pro's get more internal troubles than just about anything on the market, and it looks like its going to cost me an arm and a leg to get it fixed aswell:bawl: .

I fargin hate this head. Its cursed, its caused me nothing but grief ever since day 1 - I'd give it away, but i wouldnt wish that upon anyone

19. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    sh!t, i'll take it!