The Cabinet Debate

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Primus=cool, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Primus=cool

Mar 19, 2004
    I am Contemplaiting on which Bass cabinet to buy to go with my SWR head, I Am thinking of getting A Ampeg 4x10 or A Mesa Boogie 4x10, I love them both and would like your opinion on which you would choose and for what reason, Discuss.
  2. I recently purchased a Mesa Boogie 6x10, so far I would say it kicks ass on the other 2 cabs I have.
    I have a 2x15 Sunn (by Fender), and a Peavey 1820 (2x10's &1x18), with the almighty Black Widows,(descent at best).
    I play this out of an all tube Sunn 300T and it rocks the house.
    I also have an Ampeg combo B3.
    I ask myself this, "self, what is the speaker quality inside this box?"
    IMO you cannot get a better cab than Mesa Boogie. :bassist:
  3. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Have you tried EBS cabs?
    For me EBS cabs are really better than ampeg and mesa ones!
    Best 4*10 i know! (I have owned ampeg 8*10, mesa 2*10)
  4. I owned several mesa, ampeg and EBS cabs. I really think it depends on the style of music, approach and also playing style of your instrument to decide which cabinet you plan to purchase. In my experience all 3 brands are very good. I personally prefer the open and "raw" sound of the Mesa Boogie cabs. I am here referring to the older models with the Electrovoice speakers, i.e., Diesel and Road Ready series.

5. Primus=cool

Mar 19, 2004
    Yes I have checked out EBS cabs, those are imported from switzerland right? It is a great company I love it, But, out of the three I like The Mesa better because It is a more flexible cab So to speak, Ampeg is a ROCK company and is not good for jazz or Any other style Is my thoughts while MESA's are good from anything metal/rock to jazz. I am In a progressive metal/ rock band called "Opiate" and a jazz/progressive progect called "April" so I need a cab that is flexible, MESA i tihnk is how I will go but keep the debate going.

P.S. I think EBS is too expensive
  6. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    EBS is made in Sweden.
    In europe, EBS is as expensive as mesa boogie for cabs.And for the same price, the choice was really simple for me!
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You might think EBS cabs are too expensive, but in terms of versatility, they're as versatile as it gets!

Consider the fact that in the US, Marcus Miller and Bon Jovi's bass player use them. In Europe, they're used for everything from Jazz to Heavy Metal.