Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Call of Ktulu

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BrettAM, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Ok guys I need to know this, it's been driving me crazy for years. Why did they spell it Ktulu instead of Cthulhu? I know I sound like an idiot and I should just go with the flow but I just don't get it, it's not like there could have been a bad translation or something (lovecraft was american, for those who don't know). Help ME!!!!

2. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    copyright laws maybe?

3. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well, what is Cthulhu (ktulu) anyways? is it a reference to some literary masterpiece or artwork that ive never heard of?

thanks,
    =w=slicks=w=

4. stroggnoy

stroggnoy Guest

Jul 11, 2002
    I bet Lars had something to do with it. My guess is that he named the song and, obviously, couldn't spell it correctly.

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    "The Call of Cthulhu" was a book, written by H.P Lovecraft in 1926. I believe it was also made into a movie. My guess is the song (or at least the name) was the brainchild of Kirk, since he's the man that's into all the science fiction/horror stuff.

My personalized license plate, back in 1994-95 was "KTULU." ;)

EDIT: After briefly researching www.hplovecraft.com, it appears that "The Call of Cthulhu" was also the inspiration for Big M's "The Thing That Should Not Be." Cool!

H. P. Lovecraft's drawing of Cthulhu: [​IMG]

6. The Call of Cthulhu was a short (short is all relative of course) story written by the master of horror, Howard Phillips Lovecraft. He is by indisputably the finest horror writer of the 20th century and most definetly on par with Edgar Allen Poe. Lovecraft wrote fantasy reminiscent of Dunsany and horror in the best tradition of Poe, Blackwood, and Machen. He singled out the best elements in the work of his literary masters and blended them into a unique style of his own -- a style that has, in turn, had many imitators and many more admirers. It was in a gray area between horror and science fiction that Lovecraft excelled and made his contribution, an area he called "cosmic horror."

The Call of Cthulhu started what would eventually be called the "Cthulhu Mythos". It was a story about an elder god called Cthulhu, which was something of a high priest to the elder gods created by Lovecraft. It would be summoned "When the stars were right" and it would rise out of the sea, its mission so to speak was to awake the rest of the gods. It's very tough to explain but if you look into Lovecraft or buy one of his compilations (the best of H.P. Lovecraft is a great place to start) you will not be dissapointed. It is really amazing and entertaining stuff.

7. I was thinking of actually posting that scetch myself...

The thing that should not be is one of my favourite songs by them for that very reason. There is one verse in there that says "Not dead which eternal lies, in stranger eons death may die" which is just an abbreviated version of a line in the story which is a quote from the Necronomicon; "That is not dead which can eteral lie, and in strange eons even death may die."

I hope to get my personalized liscense plate to say "CTHULHU". I love that author so much, it's terrible that he didn't get the recognition he deserved when he was alive. And although The Call of Cthulhu was a great work, I prefered some of his other stories (The Dunwhich Horror, The Haunter of the Dark, and The Colour out of Space come to mind).

8. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Any fans of the Ghostbusters cartoon (the one based on the movie, not the one with the gorilla) might remember an episode centering on Cthulhu as well. I think I do.

9. The ghostbusters vs. Cthulhu... I have a feeling that Cthulhu would tear those three apart hehe.

10. Rien

Rien Guest

Oct 6, 2001
    Dreamland.
    Something about, if you say his name, he will come and destroy you.
    So they misspelled his name on purpose just in case he was real.

I think that's why it's misspelled...

But not positive.

11. Nothing to do with bass, but,
    Where does that put Dagon? Remember, Obed Marsh told all the people of Innsmouth about him, and I remember he seemed loosely tied to the Cthulhu cults.

12. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I thought that was the Candyman?

"Candyman..."

"Candyman..."

"Candyman..."

"Candyman..."

...I just don't have the guts to say it one more time!

;)