The Call of the Ktulu... huh?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ok. I'll admit it: I don't get it. I guess there's supposed to be a bass solo on this track, but I don't hear it. Up through 3:30 I hear some faint wacka-wacka stuff going on in the background, which seems reminicent of Anesthesia, but that's it. Where's this famous bass solo? Is it that stuff that's buried in the mix, or is there just something wrong with my copy of this song?
  2. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    I think you might mean the bass solo in Orion from Master of Puppets. This is deceptive, but from 6:35 to 6:53 of the piece, the lead instrument is definitey Cliff Burton's Aria Pro. Call of Ktulu is pretty much just bass fills with distortion/wah.
  3. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yes I don't understand where the solo is either. There's plenty of bone crushing distorted lead bass throughout the song, but there doesn't seem to be an actual solo. Great bassline though. :)

4. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age." (H. P. Lovecraft, "The Call of Cthulhu")

Perhaps the mystery of the Cliff Burton bass solo is better left unsolved...
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  6. That is it. It's criminally low in the mix but you can just about make out what he's up to.

I read somewhere that it's meant to convey the evil that lurks beneath or some old tosh... It's a balls-up in the mix and that's all there is to it.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

You might want to listen to the version Jason Newsted plays on the S&M project, it comes through a littel better.
  8. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yeah, I've got a cool version of the S&M recording, in which the bass is above everything else in the mix. It really lets you hear Jason's bassline, with all of the chords he plays and such. I would send it your way, but I don't know how. You can get it from a Jason Newsted fansite called:

Graeme :bassist:

I cant find Ktulu on the site ,where is it?.Thanks
  10. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Oh sorry, I think I gave the wrong site... it might be The site was made by a TB member.

EDIT: the link isn't working. maybe the site is down or something, sorry.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Cliff Burton unfortunatly was always wacka wacka stuff in the background. :(
  12. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The misunderstanding stems from the use of the word solo. Its not a solo in the sense most bass players would think, i.e. the bass plays and the rest of the band shuts up (like Orion).

Its a solo in the sense that guitar players use the word: the bass does a lead passage with the rest of the band backing. This is reminscent of Cliff's previous act, Trauma, where he was the only "solo" aspect (there was a rythym guitarist and a drummer, Cliff just shredded his a$$ off for the duration of every song).

As for hearing it, its tough. The bass tracks on Ride the Lightning are burried horribly (Cliff's distorted Rick just sounds too simillar to James' Gibson/Marshal tone), which is a shame because I think its Cliffs best performance.
  13. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    if i listen closely with the help of my new CD player, i actually manage to pick out the bass track on it :p though its easier on the S&M record.. and i wouldnt realy call anything he does on that song a solo... Different bass track maby, but its no bass solo..

and i realy dont like the way the bass changes volums on the album... its lik "ride te lightning" you can pretty much hear the bass, and then you go over to "Fade To Black" and for the most of that song the bass is gone again...
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    But then again, I always heard about the famous bass solo on Orion. I always assumed they were talking about the simple clean bass break, that's cool, I though, but not that cool. Then I read an interview with Cliff about the bass solo and he said that it was after that and it was distorted and wahed, confused, I checked it out and whoa... there's a bass solo. It does sound very guitary.
  15. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    OMG I never knew that was bass! nuts!
  16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I know, it's crazy. I listened to that song for years now, and about 3 months ago I found that out and when I heard it, it was like a whole new song.
  17. It was a year ago or maybe two I realized that was the bass solo. Before I had been so confused with this solo stuff cause I thought it was the little nice melody thing he does alone right before the real solo. Its a cool thing though and Im guessing 95% of everyone who has heard the record (or more) still thinks its guitar.
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lars probably mixed this song. :ninja:
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I think on the S&M DVD Jason solo type playing comes through a littel better or maybe i am just hearing in my head what i see him playing. ;)