1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"THE" CallowHill Club..........Official, Registered and Documented (pt.4)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    I live on the other side of the world so pick up in not an option. I've tried contacting business associates, colleagues, other US based luthiers who knew Tim. Many have been helpful and empathetic but no action (and fair enough, it's not their jobs or concern really!). According to Tim my bass was in progress and headed to paint but reliable sources tell me it wasn't started. I had paid in full. Hopeful but not expecting anything to happen.

Thom Smith likes this.
  2. MarkA

MarkA I believe in countermelody. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Sorry to hear that. I wish you the best moving forward from it, whatever happens.

(Incidentally, I've listened to some of the tunes up on your Youtube channel before -- good playing!)

3. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    There were several other luthiers previously finishing up those CallowHill basses....unfortunately all of the parts were not found.

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    FFF812E5-3CDF-453A-B214-48C23405ED29.
    Today marks 2 years since Tim's passing.

Thom Smith, emjazz, jmattis and 4 others like this.
  5. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Thank you very much :)

6. johndb

johndb Bass is the Place! Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Illinois
    Wow, I can't believe it's already been two years since Tim's unfortunate passing. R.I.P. Tim Cloonan. You will live on through your family and through your wonderful instruments.
    Screenshot_2018-10-11-21-27-35_1_1.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  7. Thom Smith

Thom Smith Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Bangkok, Thailand
    My condolences, too, to the Cloonan family. I wonder whether they even know about this forum, and our concerns. My lefty MDM6 has been finished for 5 years and paid in full; Tim simply had problems shipping it, and I never pressed the issue. (If you remember, he could be grumpy.) Part of me feels the loss of his life simply outstrips our ephemeral concerns. However, his company was incorporated, so it, not him alone, may still owe us customers some resolution. But since I live in Thailand, the chances are even more remote of me actually going to wherever the bass currently is, knocking on the door, and collecting it. Nevertheless, some days I keep hope alive ... others I rationalize and wonder if I was always meant to play a 4-string.

8. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Hey mate, sorry to hear of your predicament.
    A very talented builder called Ryan Hyde, who actually worked with Tim for a while, has been finishing up 3 basses that were painted, but not assembled, and I assume paid for in full?
    You can see a lot of Tim's influence in his designs too, quirky, but not for the sake of it, and extremely well finished.

I would assume he knows the family, and I wonder if reaching out to him to see if he might be able to help could be a way forward, even if you have to pay him for his time?
    Here's his Instagram page >> Ryan Hyde (@rhydeguitars) • Instagram photos and videos

Cheers,
    Eude

JesseMalaska likes this.
  9. Thom Smith

Apr 12, 2017
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Thanks, Eude! All along I have simply been looking for a lead, but none have led anywhere. This is the first time I have seen his name on this forum (I think). I will contact him immediately.

Thom

JesseMalaska likes this.
  10. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Happy to help mate, I hope something comes of it!

Eude

JesseMalaska likes this.
  11. I JUST saw Rhyde guitars on Instagram and thought to come here and comment that maybe he can help people out here! Great to see that it has already been told here! I really hope that he can help! :)

eude likes this.
  12. Thom Smith

Apr 12, 2017
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I just sent Ryan a message via his Reverb page. Please, if anyone knows Ryan, and can let him know I am trying to contact him, I would appreciate it!

13. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    He doe communicate via Instagram messaging reasonably quickly, so if you don't get anywhere with Reverb, perhaps try that too.

14. Thom Smith

Apr 12, 2017
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Hi, Eude. Hopes dashed. Hyde sent me a rather terse reply saying he had no info. He did not even give me a contact number, but wished me all the best.

15. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Bugger, sorry to hear that mate. I wonder if he's been bugged by a few folks since posting that he was working on some of Tim's outstanding jobs on Instagram. If I hear of anything else, I'll let you know...

Eude

16. Thom Smith

Apr 12, 2017
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Hi, Eude. Thank you for your support and your perspective. I never thought of that. Everyone must think theirs is a special case ... but I guess they are really. Tim took a very personal approach to each and every order, and that all went away with him. Still, I am trying to take Jamaaladeen's spiritual guidance. His Steinberger of 30+ years was stolen in NYC. Most of Bryan Beller's gear also a few years ago. ... Funny story: Around 2015, Tim had actually asked Bryan if he could bring my bass with him and deliver it when he came to play with the Aristocrats in Bangkok. Tim forwarded me all the messages and replies: "Bryan, if it's too much trouble, just say, 'F*** you, Tim.'" And Bryan, of course, wrote those very words back. Seriously, Bryan then went on to explain what we all know, how impossible and expensive it is to cart gear overseas. ... Nevertheless, it's been a painful day. That bass is like an old girlfriend you never really got over. You are fine for months on end, and then something triggers a memory, a smell, a song, a similar face, and then you're down in the dumps for a while. I will feel a lot better when the new Tool album finally comes out, which will keep me busy on 4-string (drop-D) for a while!!
    Peace, Thom

17. Thom Smith

Apr 12, 2017
    Bangkok, Thailand
    The bass is out there.

JesseMalaska likes this.
  18. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    I hear you mate, you're keeping very Zen about it, and I think that's real healthy. One day, one day I hope you get your hands on your lost bass.
    If for any insane reason I might be flying from the US to Thailand I will be in touch, but it's unlikely what with me living in the UK.

Cheers,
    Eude

19. Thom Smith

Apr 12, 2017
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Thanks, Eude, for having my back. I really appreciate the support from everyone on this forum. TB is the only means of having any hope at all. But the saga actually goes back further ... The last time I was in the US was 2014, and I had arranged to meet Tim at Taylor's Music in West Chester. He was going out to nearby Honeybrook for Father's Day. But he was on a very tight schedule and could not make it to meet me after all. ... Even if and when I go back, I have no idea where in the Scranton area (Was it even Scranton?) his shop was, and who knows where anything is now. OK, un-Zen-like moment: It's just frustrating to have zero contact information. Tim and I used Twitter messaging. His was really a one-man show.

soong, Mr. Majestic and eude like this.