Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The 'can I help you' Riff

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by via satellite, Sep 17, 2003.

1. via satellite

via satellite

Sep 16, 2003
    So, I was wondering if this is a phenomenon only me, Wayne, and Garth have noticed. Whenever I go into one of the huge corporate places like Guitar Center, I always hear the same riffs, labeled in Wayne's World as the 'can I help you' riff. For 13 year old gu*tarists, this is usually 'Smells Like Teen Spirit.' I think there's probably something similar for bass, too. The ones I usually hear are 'Schism' and more recently 'Seven Nation Army.' Thoughts?

Oh, yeah, and since I just joined yesterday I should probably introduce myself; I'm Lisa, I play a 5 string Peavey Dyna-bass that I think is the most excellent thing ever, and I also play a Steinberger electric violin. Yeah.

2. One In Three

One In Three

Feb 28, 2003
    Northern NJ
    i don't remember hearing anything memorable from other people in stores, but personnaly i like to play a few bars from "bassically" into N.I.B. to mix things up when i'm jamming with my friends. It's kind of a tradition now, and the guitarist uses pearl jam's "even flow" for the same purpose. gets kind of silly when you know it will happen at least once during a jam.

3. It's not just you.

Schism is a good song and to people who don't know how to play it, it sounds impressive. I was impressed before I knew it and I heard some guy playing it and I was thinking wow he's good. Now when I hear that in a store I think either they like that song and just use it to compare basses or more likely they want to impress and they think that playing something everybody is familar with will help. Now if they played Master of Puppets by Metallica...I think its about 250 beats per minute, thats impressive.

And welcome to TB. My name is Jamie.

4. I don't usually see that happening, 90% of the time there's an old guy grooving or a younger guy slapping and tapping. I went to a small shop once and saw a kid about my age playing The Trooper by Iron Maiden on guitar, and I was surprised at how well he played it, in perfect timing and everything. It's nice to see someone playing something other than the said songs.

I personally like Moby Dick. It's probably my personal bass-testing riff. :cool:

5. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    'Higher Ground'... If I hear it one more time... KILL... murrrrrDER.... pickles... mmmmmmmmm

6. hmm, i hear schism all the time (albeit many times poorly) at music stores. i also hear a lot of slapping. i hate those jerks who make it competitive. there was this one guy there once about my age (16-18) and he was trying to play schism and i kept looking at his fingers to see what he was doing wrong (he was messing up the triplet figure) but i ddnt say anything, eventually he was like
    "got a problem?"
    i said "no, just listening"
    "well you think you can do it better"
    "as a matter of fact yes"
    "yeah right..."
    so i did play it, at which time the little arsemunch started doing a lame slap on open strings to a hammer on (to sound fast i guess) so i just walked off, then he goes "yeah, cant do anything like that can you?" so i went back, he handed me the bass (it was a fender jazz, familiar territory for me) and i just started doing a tapping/chording thing i made up a while back to work on my tapping chops and i guess that shut him up, he didnt say any other crap. i hate people like that :meh:

on the other hand i have ran into quite a few older guys (guitarists and bassists) who just want to jam with whoevers there, and im a sucker for a good jam session. i love these kind of people. :)

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    MY local music shop asks people to leave if they are:

a guitarist: and they play and metallica or G'n'R

a bassist: and play Longview or schism