Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The "Canadian Jazz sound"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phil Mastro, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    My dad just put on a record, and as soon as it started, I had a feeling it was a canadian band. Turns out I was right. The record in question is Meet me in the alley by Sandro Dominelli. It has the same kind of feel as records by the Great Uncles of the Revolution, Zubot and Dawson, The Occhipinti guys (Micheal, David, Roberto), NOJO, Mike Murley, Joel Miller, Brad Turner, etc... And that got me thinking: Is this pure coincidence, or is there some deeper underlying conspiracy here? Is there a Canadian Jazz sound?

I know it sounds kinda weird, and I wanna know if somebody else agrees, and if anyone has witnessed sightings of similar localised events that point to similar phenomena. [Hums the X-files tune]

Phil

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I saw Bernie Senensky with his trio in Toronto a few years ago and was pretty impressed. As a huge Bruce Cockburn fan, Michael Occhipinti's "Creation Dream: The Songs Of Bruce Cockburn" is my favorite Canadian Jazz record.

3. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Yeah, my dad has that record, it's pretty sweet. Bruce Cockburn's music kinda has that same feel I was talking about.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Outside of Oscar Peterson (a lot of it!) and the occasional Dave Young record, I haven't really heard much in the way of recorded Canadian jazz. I'd like to pick up a couple of CDs...so you say the Occhipinti brothers are the way to go?

5. Check out Mike Murley's albums. Jim Vivian is his bassist. It doesn't get a whole lot better than Jim. This is what I think of as the Canadian/Toronto sound.

6. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I dunno if all the Occhipintis are brothers (at least 2 of them are, Micheal and Robert, I dunno about David), but they're all pretty solid performers, and more importantly, good composers too. NOJO is an accronym for Neufeld Occhipinti (Michael) Jazz Orchestra, it's kinda like a big band with a rock vibe, a bit à la Zappa meets Dave Holland.

If you like Bill Frisell folk/jazz type stuff, check out the Uncles of the Revolution, I love their stuff. Zubot and Dawson are part of the band, and their "solo" CDs are also pretty cool.