Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Cannonball Run Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mike_v_s, May 2, 2005.

1. Classic.

Now watch as this thread plummets to the bottom of the page.

Mike

2. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Edit: Haha wow, late night posting eh. This WAS a post in which I was talking about the gumball rally. You know, the nice cars hooning across europe. Got it confused with Canonball run. Hilarious.

3. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    On of the most underappreciated movies as well. "I...am Captain Chaos!"

4. Yeah, I love that movie- especially the Buford T. Justice chasing him across the country. And that crazy Jerry "Snowman Reed" as he's driving that big rig "East Bound and Down..." I think a whole generation of kids wanted a black Trans Am just because of that movie...

What? Wrong Burt Reynolds movie?

That other one is good too.

5. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Anything with Dom DeLuise in it is an instant classic in my book.

6. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Almost forgot, add Jimmy The Greek, and it's a sure recipe for wackiness.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "I'm gonna take these bleeds..."
    "Those bleeds"?

8. I find it "highly" amusing that Fawcett looks as baked in that film as she does today....and the Martin/Sammy team is quality film at it's best.

Mike

9. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Don't forget about Jackie Chan!

:ninja:

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh...I own Cannonball Run on Laser Disc, DVD, video tape, AND CED.

I doubt anyone under the age of 30 even knows what CED is, and I highly doubt many people OVER the age of 30 even know what it is... :smug:

"Why'd he call me shorty?"

"Because you're small. S-M-ALL."

The commentary track on the DVD is as funny as the film, too. You can just tell that everyone had a complete blast making that movie.

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Seymour!

12. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat

We have a LaserDisc player with Return of the Jedi somewhere.
    Was CED a hybrid, or something not introduced in Canada?

That one slipped past me in the 80s, but I do remember AM stereo. :D

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I saw that movie so many years ago. This thread's title brought so many memories to me! Burt Reynolds, Farrah Fawcett, Roger Moore, Jackie Chan, Sammy Davis Jr... Those are the ones I can recall. What I enjoyed the most at that time (I was like 14, I think) was Roger Moore parodying himself. Roger was one of my biggest heroes, first as Simon Templar ("The Saint") and later as James Bond. I think his last Bond movie at the time was "The Spy Who Loved Me" (or was it "Moonraker"?). Anyway, TSWLM is one of the best Bond flicks IMO (The best is "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". How many of you remember George Lazenby?). I'll never forget him facing that big man: "I'm Roger Moore!" "Who?" "ROGER MOORE!" [​IMG]

14. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--I've got all of the original trilogy, THX remastered, on Laser Disc without the Special Edition additions.

It stands for Capacitance Electronic Disc. Imagine a record (complete with needle) that plays video and you have the jist. Let's just say there's a very good reason that it was a short lived technology.... :ninja:

15. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    "You know what your problem is, Mother? You're too Jewish."