1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Carnivore Collection

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, May 1, 2006.

1. So I finally took some pictures of the gear. This is most of what I'm playing these days, although I just picked up a sweet Kramer-era Spector NS2 today.
    Photos De Los Bassos

2. i like the finish on the MTD...makes me think of the caribbean which is a far ways from where i am now :)

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Lookin' way nice... particularly like the 60s Jazz... great color.

4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    How cool!

I just played that Schack at the GC to audition my NC-410. The sales guy was trying to press me to pick up the Schack as well because he did not want it to go to some local wanker. Then I saw it disappear off of eBay. Great acquisition - that's an excellent bass!

I'll let Tim know it went to a great player!

5. There are three or four more that I was too lazy to take out and photo, and I sold four last week on the 'Bay, but yep--this is just about all for now. I entered into home ownership last year so my expenses are moving in that direction more and more.

Haha! Well, some would argue that I'm a local wanker too. It really is a nice bass and the price was excellent. I was holding my breath after hearing all the "Instrument Exchange" horror stories, but this worked out well. Your GC gets some cool stuff! Please send my thanks and props to your bass guy.

6. Nice, even though some of those basses are far from my cup of tea.
    Now I'd only like to know more about each and every one of those, how they compare, and what their respective strengths and weaknesses are. If that's not too much to ask.

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Oh man, that MTD just kills... very nice collection!

8. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    the truss rod cover on the mtd is just awesome!

9. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    FC, when did you sell that incredible single cut Nordstrand? Was that ages ago?

10. myrockinbass

myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    That Reverend is one of the most beautiful basses I've EVER seen, with the ugliest pick guard I've EVER seen (I still would trade my left leg for one!!) :bag:

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've always loved that MTD, and that Schack (which I had never even heard of before) looks beautiful! :)

Tom.

12. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    My fave Fender color "Burgundy Mist" ... I had one like yours and sold it ... now I can't seem to find one that color...

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The MTD is my favorite. I like the Elrick plenty too.

14. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    The really nice thing about the Schack is that it weighs about 4 lbs (well, maybe 7).

Also, it has a fascinating piece of engineering for the neck joint; the string tension actually holds the neck on with no bolts at all; and it is totally rock solid stable - very well designed.

Schack catches some heat for being a Tobias rip-off, but since Gibson has done what they have done with the Tobias designs (I'll leave that for another thread), Schack is welcome to do what he is doing, as far as I am concerned.

15. Yeah, I STILL don't quite understand the neck joint on that thing. Took a pic here:
    [​IMG]

It's a cool bass for sure. I noticed that your store seems to have a Ric 4003 Blue Boy too!

16. Yep, it went to Vanselus of Basstasters, who sold it to someone in Mexico, I think?

17. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yep, long gone here too. Short scale isn't my thing right now. I LOVE Nordstrand basses and pickups though.

Damn it Funky, you still have too many basses... sell more and make room for the new!

18. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I just have to say I adore how some builders like Dingwall and Mike Lull will pre-stain their bodies black, sand it down so just the woodgrain shows so that the final color has the "accentuated" grainlines due to the black pre-stain.

Lovely, simply lovely. Great collection you have there.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That MTD is gorgeous. :)

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice Family, what is that color called on the 60's jazz bass reissue ?