Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Cars Reform, New recording to Be Done

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 8guy, Mar 15, 2006.

1. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Eliot Easton and Greg Hawkes have formed "The New Cars", Without Ric Ocasek, David Robinson, And obviously The late Great Ben Orr.
    Ric and David have Given their Blessings to this project, And Ric even suggested his replacment...Todd Rundgren!!!!
    Holding Down the Bass And some vocals will be former Utopia bassist Kasim Sulton, and Drums will be former Tubes drummer Prarie Prince.

Aparently a new recording comes out May 9th titled" The New Cars, Its Alive".

I think this has some promise, What do you think?

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Well....That's interesting. I'm a big Todd Rundgren fan, Todd's more of a musician than Ric ever hoped of being.
    Have you ever seen the Cars? Benjamin Orr sang more than Ric. He sang most of their hits.
    I guess if anybody can replace them both it would be Todd, but he doesn't even sing like them. I've seen both acts and it's kinda hard to imagine, but let's see what they come up with.

3. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Yeah I have seen them Live at Alpine Valley in WI, and yeah Ben Did a lot of the leads.
    As a musician in my young 20s Back then They were a Favorite band(loved Learning how to play the odd timings On Panorama), But one of my all time favorite Albums from then Was Utopias RA and Deface the music.

Im finding the thought of the combination intriguing..

Oh and Todd did make a Joke about Being a former member of The Nazz, That they could call the band NazzCar:)

4. I don't know, but being a Cars fan myself, I can't wait to find out.

5. Anything with Rundgren is solid gold.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    "Hello It's Me" was originally a Nazz song, the famous version came off of "Something Anything" that was the only song on that album he didn't do solo, the story I heard was it was done in 1 take with a bunch of people who just got together to Jam. Incredible. Todd's the Man!!!!!!!

On another note I miss Ben.

7. Actually the last few songs after the Roots Overture is just a big jam session.

8. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Yeah I agree You Two, Bens Solo Album Was A thing Of Great beauty, I havent heard it years But I remember it Having a lot of Joni Mitchels band on it from her album Wild Things Run Fast.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I loved The Cars!!!!!!!

:)

This should be interesting...

10. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Just to up date this Thread, The new Cd called "Its Alive " will be out Tuseday June 6th.
    Its obviously a Live Cd covering a lot of the bands older hits and breathing a little different tone into them but remaning true to the oridinals, and They aso cover a Nazz song and have 2 new originals on it.
    In nod to the Ben Orr thread They do do Drive, With Kasim on lead vocals.
    I plan to buy it on tuesday and try to write a mini review if anyone is interested.

11. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Always liked Elliot Easton on g**tar.
    Is this timed to go with the movie Cars? Do they do any of the music, by any chance? Seems like a natural connection...