Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Carvin Design

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sargebaker, Oct 15, 2005.

Carvin Design Outdated?

Poll closed Oct 22, 2005.
  1. Outdated/Stale/Ugly

38 vote(s)
    58.5%
  2. Dare I say, Fresh? or just Good

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. I don't know/care/carrotts

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Just wondering what the general opinion is, outdated or good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. i don't really like the horns or the headstock...otherwise i hear they are pretty good to play

3. +1

4. Like the body, never liked the headstock. The headstock is really my only visual complaint with Carvin. It's too... pointy.

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Headstock bad, body is just generic, functional.

Unlike their necks.

6. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    the neck on my Carvin has been the most stable neck I've ever had. it's only need 1 adjustment in over a year and it was when i changed strings.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I don't know why Carvin takes so much heat for their looks, there are are lot uglier basses out there. I think if they gave you a choice on pickups & electronics, they would sell a lot more basses.......for the life of me I can't understand why they don't. :confused:

8. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    there are alot worse out there, I mean Carvins don't look terrible its just the look very stale. I think they lack a jaw dropping distinguishing feature...

Oh and I'm sure if they offered other electronics they'd "look" alot better too ;) I actually really like my electronics in passive mode.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I like that J/MM 6. :hyper:

What color is it?

10. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Gee, I wonder what inspired this poll? :bag:

11. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    If Carvin basses looked out dated......then what would you say about Fenders (and their designs are way older)!!

Don't see much on Fenders looking "Outdated"!!

I happen to think Carvins are sharp looking instruments (guess that is why I got two of them)....

12. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    I think they look great. The headstock is a bit pointy, but not totally 80's pointy. If they created a 'unique' design, they'd probably get outdated quickly!
    Also, when I ordered my AC40, I had a choice of head stock. I chose one that is more square-ish.

13. I love my 2 carvins

and plan on getting a 3rd one day

Viva la carvin

14. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I think they look ok, a bit 80's metal for me, but I'm sure they play fine...

15. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Long live 80's metal.... and yea the look is alright.

16. I am looking at my 3 on the wall and I can't imagine playing much else...

80's Metal???????????

17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I dig the Brunel models (owned one)... Not as hip to the standard body style.

18. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Seafoam Green with Black Burst edges. Amazing player of a bass.

Fender's design is timeless and is not one that will likely ever go out of style (like them or not)

But who knows, maybe one day we'll all be playing plastic basses and be saying 5 string singlecut exotic topped 8000$ Foderas are so "90s-00" or dated (or somethign to that extent)

19. I have two and even though they both play great, and sound great. I definitely feel Carvin could use a little update. I think it would be cool if they started doing different body styles. Maybe they will, who knows?

20. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The LB style body looks okay with the "rounded body" option, but that headstock... it's just barely evolved from the pointy '80s look they used to have. Some people like pointy... I just don't.

I actually prefer the looks of their bolt-on basses over the neck-through LB and BB series. (I have of their DIY kit basses, which is essentially the same thing as their bolt-ons. I like it a lot... but I gotta get around to "fixing" the headstock on it. ;) )