The carvin Q.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Aug 4, 2005.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I recently read that carvin thread and it really smashed me...
    I need a good 5 string bass for a reasonable amount of $$$, and after considering the options the carvin lb75 claro walnut seemed to be the best choice. The prob is that i live in europe and carvins are like 60's ford mustangs, you know that there are 1 or 2 somewhere but you also know that it is an urban legend :rolleyes: .
    So If i decide to get one what am i supoused to spect? a good bass needing a set up? a crappy pice of wood that could be sell like if it were a wishbass? or something else? I might order it to be taken to a friends house in Miami and she'll send it to me via UPS or something over here.
  2. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    If you are worried about what you find in Europe exercise your right to try b4 you buy.
    Seems you have an answer
  3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Never said that my friend knew how to play bass nor how to identify a wraped neck etc etc....

No ofence but thats why im asking.
  4. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Oh..... I see. Guess you are stuck between a rock and a hard place - good luck :)
  5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

The general consensus is that they are well built with quality wood and workmanship but the pickups and preamp are lacking. Not everyone agrees about the pickups. I own one and think they sound good. YMMV.
  6. thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I don't think I would buy a Carvin (or any) bass without playing it for a bit. Carvin guitars have a real issue with down-the-road service. The necks have a rep for running out of adjustment, the actives are a little wimpy, the passive pickups are as good as you can get but you still got an axe that you gotta love or leave. I would never buy one without playing it. It is a shame that the geographics come into play, cause you haven't got a place to try one, but a mistake is a mistake. Don't buy a bass you don't know you love.
  7. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My B4 is all passive. I can sort of nudge an acceptable tone out of it. But the neck isn't all it could be. I'm going to sell it eventually. Carvin isn't my thing like I thought it would be. And their customer service is poor.
  8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

not to disagree with a doctor , but the neck on my '2000 Carvin LB70-P
    is straight , narrow and very sturdy ...

i can't however , argue with the description of the electronics.

9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    As the owner/former owner of Carvin g*****rs, I think they're very well built and come with an excellent shop setup.

However, if I was living in Spain, I probably wouldn't risk buying one directly from Carvin, due to the aforementioned service issues. I think they have UK and German distributors, dunno about Spain.

Nothing else catches your fancy? I'd be looking for a Blade Jazz bass if I were in Europe.
  10. Carvin's are fantastic, a lot of people seem to bash the crap out of their gear for some reason though. I have a BB70P and it sounds fantastic - it has such an amazing tonal range.
  11. Glad I got on to this -

I've been looking at high end 6 strings - and can't seem to bring myself to buy a Peavy - I've seen them when they go bad, and that's only from hanging in a music store - But the 2000+ is just absolutely out of the question. I'm stuck on good electronics (since I've never been able to get a great sound out of any bass I've owned - except for one - if you can get past the dirty pots that can never come clean) so Barts and EMGs are the only choice there - but I'm also stuck on neck-thru with maple top and maple fingerboard, and a gloss finish. Have played both Spectors and Tobias' recently, and there's just something about that satin finish that drives me up a wall. I miss the feel and sound of my original Music Man (think Charlie Meeks from Mangione days), but can't find it in a 6 anywhere. Any reaction to Cort Artisans? Their 6's look great and have Barts, but can't get the maple fingerboard.