1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the case of Felix Pappalardi's missing Ampeg fretless - 25K reward

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    awright tb detectives, get to it, there's a $25,000 bounty for the recovery
    from renown NY rocker and Mountain-o-phile, Al Romano;
    ''Felix Pappalardi in Nantucket with missing 1960’s Ampeg fretless bass. You will notice the AMPEG fretless bass. I got that bass from Felix‘s father after Felix was killed and then Mike Starr from Alice in Chains ended up with it and I never got it back from Mike. That bass is out in Seattle somewhere and if it could be found I would be willing to pay $25,000 to anybody that could find it! Felix’s Ampeg fretless bass has many identifiable marks. I have close-up photos of the bass to match it 100%. The original case also is broken at one side and I also have the missing part of the broken case, but it may have been put in another case since. It has a reddish sunburst coloring to it. Gail Collins told me Felix loved that Ampeg bass. Felix used the bass on Swamp Boy where you can clearly hear the fretless bass sound. Felix also used it on many of the Mountain albums but you would really have to listen closely to hear if it’s a fretless bass? If it’s a fretless bass that it’s this one. These photos came directly from Gail’s Polaroid camera which was probably new in that time. I would say these photos are from 1970. Members of this group please search out this hidden treasure there is a big reward as a bass, it’s probably worth $2000 but I’d be willing to pay anything to get it back. It has that much sentimental meaning to me with Mike and Felix.''
    upload_2018-10-28_8-13-17.
    upload_2018-10-28_8-14-44.

SturmUndDrang likes this.
  2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Do you have a link or contact for Al Romano? I'm an expert on the Ampeg Scroll Basses. I work on them, restore them, and always have a bunch of them here in my shop. That's an AMUB-1, a rare version. If he knows the serial number or other identifying marks, I may be able to help track it down.

ICM, AlexanderB, cataract and 4 others like this.
  3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    you were #1 on my wish list of replies. message Al here https://www.facebook.com/alb.romano.3

4. That link doesn't work but I sent Al the contact info for Bruce. With a little luck maybe we can help recover a piece of rock n' roll history.

5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    thanx for dredging this thread back up, maybe that's why Al just contacted me to get his info to Bruce. the link works fine for me. yes, I'd hope the bass community would care to solve this cold case more than it seems.
    it can happen.

6. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    The problem here is that these Ampegs are now 51 years old. And on most of them, the nitro lacquer finish cracked up and peeled off at around 25 years. Very few are still around in their original finish. Most have been repainted and restored or otherwise modified. Which probably removed most of the distinguishing marks from when Felix had it. If it hasn't been seen for a few decades, unless it's been completely hiding in a closet, you may not recognize it now. Whoever has owned it since then has likely had it refinished.

Ampeg only made about 250 of the AMUB-1 model, and I estimate that about 150 are still around today. I've personally restored about 10 of them, and worked on maybe 25 others over the years. I have 4 of them here in my shop now, including one that I own. And I keep a database of serial numbers and notes of any Ampeg Scroll Basses known to be in existence.

So, there's a fair chance, if Al can provide me with a serial number or distinguishing marks, that I may have seen it or know where it is.

ICM and Bass V like this.
  7. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm hoping you two manage to hook up soon

8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    bumpin' for a good cau$e

9. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I haven't heard anything. Al hasn't contacted me.

10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    lol, maybe he found it!
    I'll shake his tree again...

dralionux likes this.