1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The chair is your enemy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassrique, May 10, 2011.

1. So I was looking for funny pics to post here and I came across this:

[​IMG]

I remember reading once that former DOD Secretary Donald Rumsfeld had a "standing desk". Simply put, it was a desk that was higher up, with no chair. Should we ditch our chairs?

2. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    dude, that is funny. i will immediately stand up and go get my tinfoil hat.

seriously tho, you have convinced me to ride my bike to band practice. i hope the beers don't get to shook up on the way.

3. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Wow! Then it's really not looking good for me.

4. I used to strap a gig bag on my back when i rode a bike to practice. The drummer brang the beer.

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Uh, I don't know what to say to that. I'm totally willing to believe that people who sit longer and more often aren't as healthy, but "the chair is killing us?"

I thought it was a parody at first. Maybe it still is.

Seems to me, active people just plain don't sit down as much as inactive people. I don't see that the chair itself is to blame. I could be wrong, something to think about I guess.

6. Yeah, it says calorie burning drops to one per minute? While the overall point makes sense, the one calorie claim seems like bullcrap.

7. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    I would think it depends on if you're fapping or not.

8. Fap for health?

9. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    That should burn some calories, even if sitting.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I had one of those once. I got tired of standing all the time, so pulled up a chair next to it so I could sit down. Eventually, I lowered the surface and made it back to a normal desk.

-Mike

11. The pic also says one should [DEL]slouch[/DEL] sit at 135 degrees? Wouldn't that burn less calories? :confused:

12. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    That depends on if dreaming burns calories. I would be asleep if I sat in that position for too long.

13. TJ55

TJ55

Jun 5, 2010
    KY
    The pics were a bit "Reefer Madness"esque but it's pretty obvious that standing is better than sitting whenever possible. Obesity is beyond an epidemic in America today and I personally find it extremely disturbing. Little bit of self respect goes a long way.

14. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    The ad style is of Saul Bass.

saulbass07.

15. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  16. The message and idea is good, but I question the validity of it.

I'd bet a lot (if not all) of that research is correlation-based and has no actual cause-and-effect findings behind it.

It's easy for them to say that people who sit more are more likely sedentary, more likely obese, and thus will suffer from a reduced life span. You can make a lot more ridiculous arguments with correlation than that, and people have!

Personally, I sit way too much and try to walk places whenever I can, and I can't deny that exercise and body movement is good for you. I wish I could do more of it. Yet, I can't help but feel like these are scare tactics from sketchy research for the sake of getting a point across.

But hey, if it gets people more active, then all's well that ends well.

17. Yes, but that being said, such "evidence" makes sense, no?

18. also- i would like to see the sources to see if they have stated if its an actual measurement of calories or Calories. the lower case one is used in a scientific context. the upper case one is actually representative of 1000 calories, and is, i believe, to pass off food as being less input than it really is. if you saw three more zeroes on the back of your cereal would you lose your ****?

well... thats why you put it in quotations, because evidence doesnt have to just "make sense," it has to be factually sound. the difference makes sense, no?

19. We could have fun with this. Since life expectancy has increased since people have become sedentary chair squatters, one could say that sitting for long hours every day equals longer life.

20. we can say anything we want, and skew statistics accordingly to make almost any point. the bmi has proven to be quite unreliable, but its still used to back up arguments. the FACT that Calories with that upper case C is used almost exclusively (as far as i can tell) with regard to food intake and energy burned casts a large doubt, in my mind, to many of these studies. again: i would love to see the actual raw statistical data on this cartoon scare ad.

one calorie is the amount of heat required to heat one ml of water one degree C. think about that. think about your body temperature.