1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The "cheap" envelope filter poll

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kaiser_sosea, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Ashdown Envelope Filter Plus

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. EHX Dr. Q

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. EHX Q Tron

29 vote(s)
    64.4%
  4. EHX Bassballs

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. Ashdown Envelope Filter

Vs.

Electro Harmonix Dr. Q

Vs.

Electro Harmonix Q Tron

Vs.

Electro Harmonix Bassballs

Any other suggestions or opinions are welcomed as i am an effects newb, please help me, just looking for the most bang for my buck new or used for under $100. Thanks in advance TB ers!

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    From what I've heard... the first two don't get very good reviews. Now, for the last two...

The Bassballs is a unique effect - it's a twin filter with a sound that you won't get out of other envelope filter pedals. It's unique enough that it may not be what you're looking for in terms of versatility, even though it's pretty cool, IMO.

At any rate, check out the Nano Bassballs (the tiny reissue of the previous model) if you're interested.

As for the Q-Tron... you mean the Mini (or Micro) Q-Tron, right? The regular isn't as cheap. Overall, it's probably closer to what you're looking for in a filter at this price range, since it's more "traditional" than a Bassballs would be.

There are other filters out there, too - search this forum for threads on envelope filters to see what I mean.

Personally, I love the Nano Bassballs and the Micro Q-Tron, and if I had a need for filters in the music I play, those would definitely be the pedals I'd go after on a budget.

3. Same as Mystic Boo, all the way for the Q-Tron, even though it's not really what you would call "cheap". The BassBalls is a unique Envelope Filter, the sound is very different from a Q-Tron. The other ones are better suited for guitar.

Get your hands on a DOD FX25 old pedal, you won't regret it ;)

4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    as above-- I wouldn't use the ashdown or the Dr. Q for bass, or recommend same to anyone. The Qtron is pretty good, and the bassballs is not repeat not your usual envelope filter.

5. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Being an owner of 3/4 of the effects mentioned, I'd have to put my vote with the Q-Tron for most versatility. The Dr. Q can sound really good with bass if you do some internal tweaking of the trimpot (plug into the pedal and play while adjusting the trimpot and the external pot) The Bassballs does have a really unique (read: cool IMHO, but as always YMMV) sound to it that you just can't get from envelope filter -> fuzz/od or fuzz/od -> envelope filter. I also recently got a DOD FX25 from another TBer. Although there isn't much that you can do with it in terms of versatility, it more than makes up for it in terms of the unique sound that the envelope makes when it opens and closes. Honestly, when it comes to envelope filters, your best bet is to try them out and see which one(s) you like. Even if it has the most versatility, or a very unique voice, it might not be right for you.

.....or if you're a junkie like me, you'll eventually want to own them all. :ninja:

6. thanks for the responses so far, the input is very much appreciated

7. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    i voted the BassBalls. i picked that one because the sound of the BassBalls was very pleasing to my ears. i dont know how it would sound with my setup, but it sounded pretty good on the EHX sampler disc.

8. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Qtron and DOD FX25. I have owned many different filters, and those are my two favorite cheap ones.

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    I've owned all 3 of those EHX pedals and HANDS DOWN the winner is the Q-Tron. Get one and thank me later.:D

10. masprague

masprague

May 6, 2007

Would you say the Nano sounds better than the big one??? OR does it not make a difference??

11. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    If you're going to think about the Ashdown, you should at least add the MXR-188 Bass Auto Q...

I have one and really like it, there are lots of knobs to tweak, and it's easy to get a good sound...

That being said, I would love to try a Q-Tron

12. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    The MXR Bass Auto-Q is an auto-wah pedal IIRC. That's not a bad thing, but you don't control the wah-like effect through playing dynamics. I have personally played around with both the regular NYC reissue bassballs and the nano 'balls (yes yes... this is probably as big a joke as playing around with a big muff :meh:) and to my ear they sound the same, but YMMV from pedal to pedal as they are all "tuned" with internal trimpots (go analog!). Personally, I own the larger NYC pedal (which has been discontinued by EHX, but I think that there are a few left here still... it's where I got mine from) because I am a sucker for original size and original housing products if I can find em. If I can't own vintage effects, I'll get effects that look like em and keep them in good condition so they can become vinty in their own right. :D

13. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I have 3/4.. If I had to pick just one, I'd scream and kick and cry...

or.. I'd go with the Q-tron. It's versatile, and sounds good in a wide variety of settings.

The Bassballs is a great sound, but it only has a small range of useable sounds. The Dr. Q is VERY subtle.. so if that's cool, that's the one ya want.

I'd liek t try the Ashdown :ninja:

Yes.. I truly am a junkie... I just need a cheap fix and I am happy *L*

14. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I tried the ashdown and was extremely disppointed. it was down right terrible in my opinion. And I had the cash in my pocket and had driven for an hour to the musci store, fully planning on taking it home. I used my brain for once and tried it in the store and thank god I did, because it was the worst sounding filter I have ever tried.

having said that, I own a Mini Q Tron $90 Canadian new
    USA bassballs $90 brand new
    MXR Bass Auto Q $140 Canadian new.

I love all three for different reasons. But don't let people put you off the MXR because it doesnt respond to playing dynamics. This pedal can be had in the US brand new for about $119. It is very funky and sounds fantastic with either passive or active basses.

My Mini Q Tron has to be tweaked for whichever bass I plug in but the MXR has no issues. It has a volume control which is a beautiful feature for matching the effected sound with the clean sound. It has a funky filter and a unique shimmer effect that can be blended or each effect used seperately.
    Its highly underated in my opinion.

Try them all, you will likely want all of them eventually! haha

15. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    what was terrible about it? I don't want to drop the dosh if it sounds like ass warmed-over

16. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, I voted Bassballs, but I'd use it more than a Q-tron. But a Q-tron is a great pedal, funky as hell and as over-the-top as you want.

17. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    Q.T.R.O.N.

get one. do it NOW!!!!
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

No love for Guyatone ?
    [​IMG]

19. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    awwwww!!!! so cute! :D

they WR3 can sound pretty good, actually.

20. Q-Tron for sure... The Others never stood a chance :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021